Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

1998 MONTERO sport, is it hard to change the Igntion switch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 11:31 PM
Default 1998 MONTERO sport, is it hard to change the Igntion switch?

for the past couple years my moms montero has had a problem starting, my mom knows how to start it just right she turns the key a certain way and it turns on, i can turn the car on but i have to cycle the key OFF and ON numerous times before the car will turn on, she can do it on the first or second try because well shes use to it

i been telling her that its not normal for her car to do this lol, and finally after years and years the car will not start

im pretty sure its the igntion switch and NOT the ignition lock cylinder(becuase the key will cycle the ignition no problem no resistance at all)

the stater is fine, and the battery is fine

my question is , what tools do i need to change the ignition switch (the electrical connection part not the lock cylinder) i know i have to remove the driver knee bolster, but do i have to remove the steering wheel? steering column? is there a certain way i have to install it? or is it just unplug and plug a new one IN?

Old 01-15-2012, 04:44 PM

just remove the col cover all you need is a phillips screw driver

Old 07-30-2012, 11:45 PM

Hello Guys

Sorry if I add a wrong post but I really need help to order my rebuild kit for my Montero Sport 1998 2WD 6 Cyl Automatic transmission. could someone help me get the right kit model or part number so I can order it.

Thanks a million in advance.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:40 PM

MitsubishiParts.com | "Mitsubishi Parts" at Less Than Dealer Wholesale

Click on OEM Parts and search for the kit.

They will match your part to your VIN so there will be no risk of the wrong part. Prices are below factory MSRP.

I've used them many times and am a satisfied customer.

Ron

Old 08-01-2012, 06:53 AM

Thanks for helping

I was trying to do what u ask but on the list I cant find automatic transmisson full rebuild kits, on the automatic transmission list only 3 pats shows up
1- drive plate
2-Extension housing seal
3-Transmission

Please Help