Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Idling and Igntion/Engine question

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 12:34 AM
Default Idling and Igntion/Engine question

I use my 2008 Outlander LS AWD for delivery/courier, averaging about 29 stops per day, some stops will take less than 1 minute, some a couple, and others more than 5 minutes.

Generally, for any of the stops over 5 minutes, I will turn it off, and for most under 2 or 2.5 minutes, I let it idle. A friend told me, turning it off and on, 30 times a day, is hard on ignition/engine, and in the long run will cost me more than the extra gas spent idling on the short stops.

I know environment friendly people will tell me to just turn it off and don't let it idle, but it's my vehicle (so repairs come out of my pocket, although I do have the Mitsu 10 year warranty) and if turning the engine over 29+ time per day will do more damage to my vehicle, those repairs come out of my pocket, whereas the gas is paid by the company.

1. So what do you guys recommend? Always let it idle, turn it of always, only turn it off if one stop is "X" amount of minutes?

2. I travel roughly 40 kms a day, with 29+ stops, in a 3 hour average time span. With this in mind, should I switch to synthetic motor oil? I am at 51,000 kms, I've had the vehicle since 48,000 kms, and need to my first oil change since getting my Outlander. The previous owner made regular oil changes (every 5,000 kms,).

3. With these more strenuous conditions, how often should I change my oil? I'm at 4,000 kms, I probably should do it sooner, just wondering about syntehtic switch or not.

4. Also, my Outlander came with brand new winter tires, so I need my summer tires, I've narrowed it down to these two:
- a) http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?ti...el=Grabber+UHP

- b) http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?ti...el=Grabber+HTS

Both have great reviews/ratings at tire rack. Since I have dedicated winter tires, option A is listed as Summer Tires, option B is listed as All-Season.

It rains A LOT where I live, so I was leaning towards option A, the summer tires, with hydroplaning and wet traction being my number one concern. But I don't see many choosing these sport/truck tires over the all-seasons.

Any input?

Thanks, I'll also add if I get the tires, my mechanic friend will do it for me free of charge, I'm wondering if Mitsubishi's TPMS is different in any way, or just like any other vehicle.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:55 AM

Let's do the math.

You said 29+ stops per day over a 3 hour period totaling 40 km traveled. With your average stop being 2 minutes that works out to 2 hours driving and one hour at idle. Your average time between stops is a little over 4 minutes. According to gassavers.org the average 4 cyl. engine burns approx. 1 liter/hr at idle so by leaving your car idle you consume an extra liter/day. At today's prices ($1.25/l for regular) and a 250 day work year (5 days/week - 2 weeks vacation) idling between stops is costing you $312.50 per year.

Restarting your car 30 times per day is definitely harder on your starter motor and solenoid than letting it idle, but I doubt it does much harm to the engine. However, you are restarting a warm engine, so it will be considerably less stress than starting a cold engine. Even if you have to replace the starter twice as often (which I'd doubt), the list price for a starter is $216.00 + labor.

It is my understanding that once you go to synthetic oil, you must always use it from that point forward. Personally, I'd go with the manufacturer recommended lubrication and stick with that.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:13 PM

The General Grabber HTS tires are also highly rated by Consumer Reports.

Don't forget the effect on your battery from all the restarting. As far as oil goes, I would skip the synthetic and just follow the severe maintenance schedule for the Outlander.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:18 PM

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to change and idle a bit less, but just keep an idle for the shorter stops (about 10 of the 30).

And ya I'll pass on the syntehtic, and go with the severe maintenace schedule.

How much does Mitsubishi hold you to maintain the schedule when it comes to the warranty? Are they pretty strict? If I change my own oil with receipts, is that good enough to maintain the warranty?

I definitely want one of those general's, the HTS have great ratings, but I'm leaning towards the summer (over the HST all seasons) as I don't want similar looking tires for my winters and summers.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:33 PM

Keeping receipts for your oil changes should be fine, as long as you do them following the severe maintenance schedule. Don't forget to also change the oil filter and check other fluids like coolant and brake fluid so they don't drop too low.

I follow the severe schedule because of the heat in Phoenix, and besides oil changes the two other major items are changing the air filter every 15,000 miles and changing transmission fluid at 30,000 miles. The coolant is long life and doesn't have to be changed until 60,000 miles.

No manufacturer in the US can deny a warranty claim just because you didn't go to them for maintenance, but be very careful and keep receipts for everything including things like coolant/brake fluid you may buy to keep them at the correct level. Also make sure you only use Mitsubishi approved coolant, oil, and other fluids.

Other things like rotating tires while wise to do should not affect Mitsubishi's warranty.

Last edited by azjake; 04-15-2011 at 07:43 PM.