Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2001? Montero Limited knocking oil light

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 09:08 AM
Default 2001? Montero Limited knocking oil light

Hello all,

I am looking at what I think is a 2001 Montero Limited. Truck was started and you can hear a knocking noise like a rod and the oil light is on. Oil was checked on dipstick and is a gold color. Someone may have tried to change the oil to see if problem would go away. This will be my first Montero if purchased. I have searched forum, but didn't find a post concerning not having oil pressure. I believe this may be wyy the knocking noise is there. At one point it sounded like the noise went away and then slowly came back as truck idled down and didn't go away after that.

I took off the oil cap and I can see the rockers moving, but saw no oil squirting or running. Plus the red oil symbol is on which causes me to think there is no oil pumping.

What could this be? Bad oil Pump?

Thanks in advance! Also the knock is NOT extremely loud, but you can hear it.

Old 04-29-2017, 11:12 PM

It sounds like the oil pressure is too low or none at all. I wonder if the noise you hear is the lash adjuster noise. This is a common noise in Montero engines, and most of the time its easy to remedy. In your case I'd be worried if the lack of oil is causing or already caused some other damage to the engine.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by HunterD
It sounds like the oil pressure is too low or none at all. I wonder if the noise you hear is the lash adjuster noise. This is a common noise in Montero engines, and most of the time its easy to remedy. In your case I'd be worried if the lack of oil is causing or already caused some other damage to the engine.
would this be an oil pump issue? Is there anything else that would cause oil light and no or low oil pressure on the montero?

Old 04-30-2017, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by HunterD
would this be an oil pump issue? Is there anything else that would cause oil light and no or low oil pressure on the montero?

Old 05-01-2017, 10:45 PM

Could be a number of things: oil pump failure, oil pickup clogged up or disconnected, some restriction in the oil galleys preventing oil from circulating to the top of the engine (sludge), etc.
If you are really set on getting this vehicle, take it to a reputable mechanic and have him check it out and give you a rundown of possible issues/fixes/cost.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:50 AM

HunterD, thanks for the reply. I looked at another one yesterday that had engine problem. It is a 2003 with a 3.8L 20th anniversary Limited edition. That engine sounded worse than the 3.5L. Is there a common problem with these engines failing? I could buy one that doesn't have engine problems, but looking at the ones Im looking at as a project. At least the 3.8L did show some signs of oil splattering around in the valve cover.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:28 AM

No, no common oil related failure on these engines. It is more likely related to the lack of maintenance by the previous owners. I have a 2001 Montero Limited with over 200k miles on it - all original (minus timing belt, few seals, etc.).
If you are looking at the project vehicle, that changes everything as far as engine trouble. As far as 3.5 or 3.8 engine, you'll have only minor variations in some of the parts. I'd go by which of the vehicles you like better overall.

To help you with the rebuild once you get going - here is a great thread on this forum https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...removal-48920/

Larry (OP on that thread) is very active here. I'm sure he'll have good answers to the questions and issues you might run into. Good luck. Post some pics of your project once you make a choice

Old 05-05-2017, 09:56 AM

thanks for the info HunterD. I like them both LOL. The 3.8L doesn't have the wood grain steering wheel as the 3.5L. I also read somewhere something about rear locking?? only available on certain years?