Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2001 Montero XLS Break Noise

Old 10-31-2011, 02:07 AM
Default 2001 Montero XLS Break Noise

Below is a brief description and a video explaining the problem I am having, please advise on how to go about fixing it, thank you.

Noise from engine when pressing on brake pedal:

MOV02638 - YouTube

An interior view on what happens when I press on brake pedal:

MOV02639 - YouTube

This is what happens when I simultaneously press on the brake pedal:

MOV02640 - YouTube

This is the cylinder that rattles when I brake, I'm assuming this is where the noise is coming from:

MOV02641 - YouTube

Old 11-23-2011, 09:21 PM

Hi guys, first of all, I'm a new member and also new to Mitsubishi, I currently have a 2002 Montero (full size one). I've been reading a lot of posts the past week and have to thank everyone's input.

I am located in Vancouver, BC Canada, and the Montero is a pretty rare vehicle here, so it is kind of difficult to find a shop that know's how to fix the Montero, even the dealer is not familiar with it.

I am not here to steal kelvin89's post, but i am currently having the same problem with the Montero and like some input also, so instead of starting a new thread I might as well as bump this post up.

Back on topic, i am getting the exact same "chirpping" sound as kelvin89, but the difference is, he only have the sound when the brake applies, but mine comes on every 10 seconds or so when ever there is power to the car. (i.e. even when the key is at the first position but not starting the car.)

A few more info, first, there were times when the noise were gone, it was quiet a few days ago for a couple of days, but it came back again yesterday... Second, the "Service Engine Soon" light were on before for a couple days, but now it's off again, I don't know if it's related. Third, I tried test the brakes, so I hard brakes it on a slippery road and found that the ABS is not working!! It did gave me the "beep" sound and ABS light were on for a few seconds...

I was at a couple of mechanic shops and they told me there's probably an air leak in the brake modual somewhere, and it's trying to pump air in every few seconds or so, and that's why the round black thing (as shown in kelvin89's video) have clicking sounds and vibrates a little every few seconds. And the chirpping noise is probably from the gears inside the brake modual. They said i might have to change the whole modual which is around $1000+.

If anyone can give some input on this and help out a fellow Montero owner here would be great, having that noise every 5 - 10 seconds really drives me crazy!

Thanks in advance guys!

Old 11-30-2011, 11:28 PM

Hey guys

Sounds like your accumulator on your power brake booster. They are on recall... and are known to leak out the gas which is the sound you are hearing. Call up Mitsu and see if you can get it serviced !

Old 12-01-2011, 12:19 AM

Thanks for the info!

My Montero is 10 years old and it's a US car in Canada, but i'll assume it's still valid, correct? I'll call up Mitsu and see what is offered!
I'll update with any info, thanks again!

Old 03-31-2012, 04:31 PM

Hey all this just happened to me. I could not meet the 10yr or 150k extended warrenty so the dealership will charge me aprox $1000 for the part and $300 for labor. Gonna look for another auto repair shop

Old 04-01-2012, 02:55 AM

@ adamos2

Hi, I've had the problem fixed for like awhile now, and I just want you to know I paid no more than $400 dollars for the problem fixture. Parts + Labor, 1000+ is too much!!! Just FYI though....

Old 04-02-2012, 12:54 PM

Hi Guys,

I've checked with the dealer but unfortunatly my Montero is not under the re call for the brake.
I also got quoted $1000 for the brake, and at the same time, a cylinder mis-firing...
There are just too much to fix, i just traded the Montero in and now driving another vehicle.
But i am curious, regarding the brake noise, what exactly is wrong and making the sound? And also, what exactly needed to be replaced? Thanks!

Old 04-03-2012, 04:25 AM

The accumulator is what makes that noise..

Old 01-28-2013, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by kelvin89
The accumulator is what makes that noise..
Dear Kelvin,
I got the same issue. Did you fix it at the dealership or another shop. These quote of $1000+ make me nervous.

TIA

Old 01-29-2013, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by algreen
Dear Kelvin,
I got the same issue. Did you fix it at the dealership or another shop. These quote of $1000+ make me nervous.

TIA
Yea i fixed it for 430..the rate was at the dealers in Hawaii not sure how other states compare with prices. I'm assuming it would be cheaper since hawaii cost of living is higher than most states.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 Montero XLS Break Noise