Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2002 montero engine removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 11:47 AM
Default 2002 montero engine removal

I am a new member and did a search but need more detail. I am pulling the enging from a 2002 Montero Limited 4WD.
I have everything but the torque converter bolts and motor mounts done.
How do I access the torque converter bolts? I've removed the starter and the conver on the left side. Do I access the bolts through the starter hole, or is there another plate that I've missed? Everything seems to be cast metal and I don't see any other access plates.
Thanks

I've done Ford and Chevy engines and an Eclipse clutch, this is my first experience with a Montero.

Old 11-15-2014, 01:17 AM

Wow, big project. Do you mind me asking why you pulling the engine?
As far as your question about torque converter bolts. I can't find any info on this in my book. I've just crawled under my 2001 Montero to look around at the engine/transmission interface. I was surprised not to see any access plates or anything else to let you get to the torque converter bolts. I think the hole for the starter is the way to go. Can you see the bolts through there?
Keep us posted of your progress.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:23 AM

I was able to access the bolts Friday evening. There's a cover and a plate on the left hand side, above the drive shaft from the transfer case to the front differential.
It's a coworker's car. It had been overheating so the dealer did the head gaskets, then it developed a really bad knock, low in the block about 3 weeks later. The owner decided to just get a rebuilt engine and do the work ourselves.

Old 10-25-2015, 01:00 PM

Thank you for this post.

When you pulled the motor did you have the vehicle on all 4 tires or did you have it elevated on jack stands or ramps to get the exhaust and torque converter bolts out?

Chasing a motor knock in my 2002 montero sport with 3.5L and am thinking I will have to pull the motor.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:51 AM
Default Montero Engine Removal

I had the front wheels about 10 inches in the air on wooden blocks. If you put the rear wheels up too it would help. Label everything and get zip lock bags for all of the small parts and label them too. And take lots of pictures. I had to pull out the first replacement engine because the engine builder had misassembled it, so the second time went a lot quicker.

Where are you located?

You can send me a PM with any questions.

Old 11-29-2015, 05:43 PM

Tedz - I've started my repair and I can see what I think is the torque converter bolt access cover/ plate on the left hand side, above the drive shaft from the transfer case to the front differential. Directly above the front axle pumpkin. Problem is there is no frontal access to this cover and not clear on how the cover is bolted. Did you have to remove the short section of exhaust pipe from the driver's manifold to the "tee" in the exhaust (see picture).

I've removed the 19 mm nuts from the exhaust manifolds to the pipes via an assortment of extensions and swivels (no clue how I will be able to get the nuts back on later).

How many converter bolts are there and do you know the size?

Attached Thumbnails 2002 montero engine removal-2002-montero-sport-3.5l-exhaust.jpg  
Old 12-06-2015, 05:38 AM

I finally got the engine pulled. 2002 Montero Sport 3.5L

To access the torque converter bolts, remove the drivers side exhaust crossover pipe as shown in the prior post. Then remove the bracket for the crossover pipe. Directly above this bracket is the access cover held in place by two bolts. Once removed, you can accces the torque converter bolts via extensions and swivels. There are 6 torque converter bolts which are 17mm.

Engine has brackets already for lifting. Front left pick point is by steering pump and right rear by cylinder head.

AC compressor was unbolted and left in vehicle still charged.

Attached Thumbnails 2002 montero engine removal-troque-converter-bolts-access-cover.jpg   2002 montero engine removal-torque-converter-access-cover-removed.jpg   2002 montero engine removal-back-3.5l-engine.jpg   2002 montero engine removal-engine-front-left-pick-point.jpg   2002 montero engine removal-engine-right-rear-pick-point.jpg  

2002 montero engine removal-engine-pick.jpg   2002 montero engine removal-engine-stand.jpg  

Last edited by larry4406; 12-06-2015 at 06:39 AM. Reason: added additional pictures
Old 12-06-2015, 11:43 AM

Nice job. Thanks for posting the pictures. That really helps to know what to look for if the day comes to do the same. Bet of luck with the rebuild.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:41 AM

My engine disassembly and rebuild thread here
https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...removal-48920/

Old 01-29-2016, 06:45 AM

Awesome Pics Larry, Good luck with the job. Keep them coming bud.

Quick Reply: 2002 montero engine removal