Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2002 montero engine removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 12:47 PM
Default How do turn torque converter?

Hello I have everything but the torque converter off, my question is, how do I turn the torque converter so I can get each bolt out? Thanks everyone. I have tried turning it with a huge screw driver but didn't work

Old 05-04-2017, 05:52 PM

Take out the spark plugs, that will help when you are turning the engine. It might he3lp to have a helper turning the engine by the bolt on the front of the crankshaft pulley while you are under watching for each bolt to come up and take them out one by one.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:32 PM

I left all my plugs in with engine intact. I used a socket with extension and breaker bar on the crank pulley and rotated engine slowly clockwise till the torque converter bolt of interest came into view in the small access window then took it out. There are 6 torque converter bolts. Make sure you have a socket in excellent shape (6 point recommended) and fully seated as the torque converter bolts have a very thin heads and if you wring one off you are screwed.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:05 PM

How did you get the torque converter bolts off? I am having trouble getting them loose. As you mentioned I took the cover plate off and made access to the bolts. I tried different extentions and swivels, but none seems to work. Could you please let me know exactly what you used to get the bolts off? thank you for your help.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by nipponpajero
How did you get the torque converter bolts off? I am having trouble getting them loose. As you mentioned I took the cover plate off and made access to the bolts. I tried different extentions and swivels, but none seems to work. Could you please let me know exactly what you used to get the bolts off? thank you for your help.
This was a royal PIA. Lots of choice words, swivels, extensions, and patience. Make sure you have a pristine 6-point socket. Look at the end of your socket to see if it has a rounded entrance at the tip; if so, you may want to grind the front edge flat so as to improve the grip on the bolt head The bolts have very thin heads and if you wring off the corners you are screwed. When I reinstalled the engine, I used new bolts.

Old 05-05-2018, 05:19 PM

Thank you for your reply. I finally got the bolts off. I had to use an old small head ratchet with a boxed wrench as a cheater bar. I am pretty much ready to get my engine out. Any other tips on getting the engine out?

Old 05-06-2018, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by nipponpajero
Thank you for your reply. I finally got the bolts off. I had to use an old small head ratchet with a boxed wrench as a cheater bar. I am pretty much ready to get my engine out. Any other tips on getting the engine out?
Glad your got them out.

As far as engine removal tips, I tried to document as much as I could in my rebuild thread and on this one so study them carefully. The AC compressor you unbolt and put aside without cracking the freon lines. Don't forget the engine ground, various electrical connectors, etc.

TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES AND LABEL EVERYTHING!

I bought a box of 1 gallon zip lock bags and used a black sharpie to label all removed bolts and washers. Very particular on what went in which bag.