Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2002 Montero XLT 3.5 rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 11:58 AM
Default 2002 Montero XLT 3.5 rough idle

I just recently had a mechanic friend replace my timing belt, tensioner, water pump, and drive belt. He also replaced passenger side rear cam seal gasket and we dropped in a K & N air filter. He told me that the timing belt was really when he removed the cover. The vehicle drove great after all the work was done. Then approx. 2 days after doing all the above mentioned work the motoer seemed to become more sluggish and when in park seems to have a more bumpy or rough idle, for lack of a better term. It seemed really responsive and smooth right after the work was done, and now although probally not as rough as some other vehicle's out there, but still not as smooth and responsive as it had been. I was wondering if anyone had experienced anything similar, possibly something with the new timing belt / tensioner installation that maybe were not thinking about, or the drive belt, or even the K&N filter. Any ideas would be appreciated. Plan on replacing plugs and wires later this week. Thanks

Old 02-14-2009, 01:36 PM
Default RE: 2002 Montero XLT 3.5 rough idle

Sounds like the new belt may have skipped a tooth. Possible if the tensioner wasn't adjusted correctly.
Youmay be able to check it if you take the top part of the timing belt covers off so you can see the cam sprocket. Align the crank to TDC, and see where the timing marks are on the cams.
J

Old 02-14-2009, 01:42 PM

i would have to agree, your friend may have messed with the tensinor pulley ecentric, is there a check engine light on?

Old 02-14-2009, 10:06 PM

No the check engine light is not on. If the belt did skip, what would the affects be, would I have heard something or would it just start to run diffrently. I know he was having some problems with the new tensioner and aligning up the pin hole in it, but felt he had gotten it right when he was done. Used the info off the all data program on the computer for specs. I just know that the engine really felt super smooth before the job. Now I can feel a shake in the motor i never felt before and am afraid i might cause some damage when driving. Thanks for the replies.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:58 PM

Anyone by any chance have any problems with using a K&N filter or using regular unleaded in the 3.5 motor. Ive read other post's where it stated that premium fuel is not really needed and just a waste of money for these motors. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:15 PM

I don't have any experience with K&N fiilters, so I can't help you on that one. But I can't imagine it would cause the problems you're describing.
However, I still think it may have skipped a tooth. I would check it as I explained above, and if it has, correct ASAP. I think, if it skipped one tooth it'll probably be OK. However, you need to fix it soon, because if it skipped once, it could easily skip again and any further discrepancy could be seriously damaging to your engine.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:46 AM

Apart from the timing belt, have you been monitoring your fuel economy at all lately? The reason I ask is because your symptoms sound exactly the same as mine when the air filter is partially blocked. When the engine bogs down and performance is not up to par, this usually tells me air filter is partially clogged with dust, now allowing enough air through thus negatively impacting fuel economy. After blowing it out with compressed air and vacuuming it out, the engine's a happy camper once again. Then again I drive in a very dusty environment, and have to replace my air filter every 6,000 miles.

I notice you mention installing a K&N filter. Is this a direct replacement filter or a cone type one? Filter media made of cotton and paper, such as the OEM Mitsubishi one is usually a far better option.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:07 PM

The K&N filter is just a drop in direct replacement that I just purchased. Again the truck still runs good, I just notice it running rougher when stopped in park. Before the mentioned work you could hardly tell the motor was running when in park, because it was so smooth. Now it just seems to have a little bit of a sporadic bump feel when stopped in park. If it jumped a tooth would it be it be a slight difference in the way it runs or would their be a significant difference. Also do any of you guys use regular unleaded in your truck. Thanks again for your input.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:36 PM

Does the vehicle run as good as you claim while actually moving?

and this complaint you are having is just how it sounds during idle?

Perhaps the problem is related to something with the idle control.

As for regular or premium, I think it says premium unleaded RECOMMENDED, but not NECESSARY or ONLY. I've been putting just regular and havn't had a problem.

I get 20MPG with mix driving, a lot of stop and go in traffic with the AC on. What more if It was straightly highway.

I did put an intake on it, not just a drop in, but a complete intake system.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:37 PM

your "friend" screwed something up. lets hope he didnt do permanent damage. Timing is off, a vacuum leak, damaged wiring, etc.etc. too many things to note. you need to take it to a professional.

next time, i suggest someone that knows what theyre doing. spending a little more to begin with saves a lot in the future when the engine is destroyed, etc.