Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2003 Montero Limited

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 08:25 AM
DZD

I do not have the shudder that you are speaking of so I don't know what it is.

What is the "butterfly" that someone mentioned would ruin the motor? What is it and how do you remove it? Seems odd to remove something that the manufacturer put in place.

Details please.

Thanks.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:34 AM
Default Shudder

Monteros also suffer from body vibration caused by worn transmission cross member mount at chasis points.

Check this for details: https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...t=12667&page=5

In my case it eliminated 95% of rumble (remember rumble vs shudder) thy're not the same.

Also the dynamic weight at transmission tail also introduces vibrations you can remove and see if it helps, in my case also did.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:46 AM
Default upper plenum butterflies

It is weird for a car maker to put stuff on intake that shakes, comes loose, and crashes motor, lol. These butterflies are a thing of the past, from what I gather they were identified as being stupid design anyway.

Remove the intake. Flip it over. You'll see butterflies about 2" down the ports. I bet you already have lost at least the screws on one, maybe the plates themselves. You have to lossen the screws with a small phillips head screwdriver that either has an elbow, or the screwdriver has to have a bent 90degree end. You'll see what I mean when you see the butterflies.

Look down into the head and use a magnetic grabbing tool to remove any plates that may be trapped down there. The last one I did, just a week ago, had three of r butterflies caught in the head, rattling around. The noise you hear are those plates rattling around either in the head, or loose on the butterfly support that they are supposed to be fastened too. Leave the rod and check the rubber pieces that separate each cylinder in the intake manifold. Push them back into there places if necessary.

The company should have welded such butterflies, instead they used two little screws with lock paste. Removing these butterflies don't effect operation at all in my experience. Others haven't noticed a difference either. They are unneeded and stupid design.

It takes me about 6 hours from start to finish. While you have the intake off, clean up anything you can, bc it's probably really dirty and being cleaned will improve operation.

Last edited by wilde; 03-31-2017 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Left out info
Old 04-28-2017, 08:44 AM

Hi Wilde,
I have a 2001 Limited and replaced all 02 sensors a few years ago. I'll search the forum, but can you elaborate on the butterflies you mention in your reply? I do allmy own repairs and maintenance and now the Montero inside and out. My car has 160K+ miles and i keep it rolling along with a lot of help from this, and other info sources

Old 04-28-2017, 02:14 PM
Default Tuning System

Aren't those butterflies part of the tuning system?

Basics:

https://www.enginebasics.com/Advance...%20Length.html

Old 04-29-2017, 05:27 PM
Default butterflies to remove before crashes motor

I wrote a previous explanations of it in this thread and another one I think. Remove the whole intake, flip ot over and look into the air pathways and you'll see what I mean. Remove all of them, even of not loose. Because they will come loose sooner or later and can toast the motor as they are sucked into intake valves.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:24 PM

Thanks for providing a lot of info about this. I didn't realize that this issue existed. I'll follow your directions in this post and others. This is a great community, and I've saved thousands with direction from forum members. My background is DC electronics, and I used to rewire vintage motorcycles, and install component audio systems to make a few bucks while I was in school. I keep my eye open for electronic questions.