Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2003 Montero LTD Update on Cam Shaft Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 08:39 AM

Xjfire, I don't know what pictures you've seen of the crank position sensor. The sensor on the Mitsubishi engines has been in the same position for last 30+ (?) years. Attached is a pdf from 2003 Montero manual showing sensor location and position. I can find 1990 Montero manual and it looks nearly identical (besides image quality ). You describe seeing crank position sensor being damaged by the sensing blades. There are only two conditions under which this will happen:
1. Sensor installed incorrectly or sensor mounting bolts become loose allowing the sensor to move out of plane of the sensing blades.
2. Sensing ring separating from the timing gear and moving out of plane with the sensor.

I don't believe you can physically mount sensing blade backwards to the timing gear. But then who knows... This might be pretty obvious, but - the sensing ring should be firmly mounted to the back of the timing gear. It should not wobble or move independently from the TG. There are two little pins that align these two parts together (make sure the keyway on the sensing ring aligns too.

Attached Files
Old 03-16-2021, 11:44 AM

WOW!! Clearly you have some unknow issue that keeps you having to argue with me. Not sure what your problem is dude but ok, your better than me. Feel better?? I never said the blade was backwards or could be put on backwards. Thats apparently something you imagined so you can continue to atempt to make me feel as if I'm something less than you. That picture you put in here is the first one I've seen with that sensor facing that direction and weather YOU believe that or not I dont care. BUT

Clearly you don't know what pictures I'm talking about but, I DO thank you for posting that picture thats the first picture I've seen of it shown facing the correct way. Every other picture I've found including the one the Mitsubishi parts guy printed out for me show that sensor flipped over so the blades wouldn't even pass through it. I never said the blade would go on backwards either. I said I replaced the blade because I had the same thing another guy had happen with the blade coming lose and getting the pins pushed through it in the wrong place. I appreciate your help but I've got to say, you seem to get a bit rude and snarky while you go about it. If thats the price to pay for a little input, so be it. But if your trying to offend, insult or belittle me, your falling short. I'm just saying. I thank you for your help though.

Old 03-16-2021, 04:27 PM

Dude, would you please take a flipping chill pill. You are the one frustrated with the issue you are having. Look back at all your posts - you have posted the same question on six different threads within this forum and you are positively ticked off that you don't have a magic simple answer to what is wrong with your vehicle. All I tried to do is to provide you with information that I have or had come across, so that it may help you to figure out what is going on. You obviously have no interest in listening to anything, but it appears that you are rather looking for an outlet to your frustration. Believe me or not, I have come across people like this in the past. My experience tells me that the best way to deal with them is to walk away and leave them screaming into the void. Guess what, when you extend a hand to a stranger to help them and in return they end up yelling at you, it's not worth my time or energy. Sorry to say this, but I got better things to do rather than reading your angry screeds. I'm blocking you, so I don't ever hear or read a word you post. Best of luck to you..

Old 03-16-2021, 04:54 PM

after a career as a cambat sgt. your not the first I've come across that can't take it when someone wont put up with their bullying like your wife does. I get it. Your use to bullying everyne but not so use to someone telling you thats enough. I've seen a hundred ilmannered bullies in my lifetime. If I'm wrong about you I apologize. But I'm not, or you wouldn't have felt you had to blame your rudeness on me and stomp off. As far as blocking me. You kept butting into every conversation I had with anyone. Kinda seems like you were going out of your way to be rude to me. Good ridence DH

Old 07-13-2022, 11:19 PM

Thank you!
I found the Cam Sensor because of your direction.