Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

4wd indication light stays on

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 10:47 AM
Default 4wd indication light stays on

I recently purchased a 2001 Montero Sport as a recreational type vehicle. A couple of days ago I noticed that the "4wd operation indication lamp" constantly blinks when I am driving in 2wd, and recently the Anti Lock light has started to come on after I have driven the vehicle for an extended amount of time, however; when I stop , turn off the ignition and then restart the Anti Lock light goes out. I am definatly a newbie with the Montero Sport Family and any opinions or advice will be appreciated.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:30 PM
Default RE: 4wd indication light stays on

How long have you had it? Mileage? Isit a 4WD model or the AWD model?

You've got something going on with the system and could still be in 4WD. Did you put it in 4WD, or has it been like this for a long time?

As far as the Anti lock light is concerned, I had a Grand Am that would pop the ABS light if the battery/alternator was getting weak. Don't know if that is true with the MS though...can you get the code read?

Old 10-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Default RE: 4wd indication light stays on

I had the same problem found this on line itworked for me. The free wheeling switch was bad I disconnected it andthe 4wd light went out and no more anti-lock brake light coming on. The switch is located on the front wheel baseon the passenger side. Lift up the rubber flips(you will be facing the outside of the wheel)in the middle you will see a canister about 7" long right underneath it is the switch. You disconnect the switch from the left hand side. I just did this yesterday so I still have to buy a new switch. I guess when I replace the switch I will find out if that is thesolution to the problem.