Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

4WD operation on paved roads

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Default 4WD operation on paved roads

Took my 99' Montero to Tahoe this weekend, in the middle of a snow storm so used 4H a lot. First question I have is that is it safe to use 4H on dry paved roads? I am assuming so because the center diff doesn't lock in 4H, so there should be no diff binding or stress build up. There were several patches of road that were cleared up and had nothing but a little wetness to them and then miles of iced/snow-covered roads. I wasn't sure switching back and forth was a good idea because i did not know when the vehicle would hit a patch of ice/snow.

Second, switching from 4H to 2H, I had to tap the brake after shifting the gear level to get the front two lights stop blinking. As I tap the brakes, I can feel the 4WD shift lever move a bit as if the physical gears underneath disengaged completely. Is that ok or should I get it checked?

Thanks!

Old 03-21-2011, 06:24 PM

Driving on ice/snow covered roads in 4H is fine. The patch of wet pavement now and again will do no more than wear your tires a bit.

Since I have a Gen III Monty, I'm not sure about the lag time in the transfer case. You might think about a fluid change in your transfer case, if it has been a while since your last change.

Good Luck

Old 03-21-2011, 11:08 PM
Banned

Great advice from above ^.

You MUST stay on top of your transfer case fluid flushes. Neglecting that will cause more damage than the vehicle is worth.

You run absolutely no harm to the car running in 4WD, but it will wear the tires slightly quicker.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:54 PM

I had the same thing happen to me recently. I was parked and was just waiting for the engine to warm up and was moving the 4W shift lever pretty much for the hell of it and I noticed that the front wheel indicator light started blinking green even after I moved the lever back to 2W. I was still parked at the time. "Crap," I thought, as there's nothing worse than breaking something on a vehicle for no good reason, but as soon as I rolled forward just the matter of a few feet and hit the brakes, the lights went out and it's been fine ever since.

In light of the advice you received, I think I'll check my fluid levels in my transfer cases at the first opportunity...

Thanks, all....

Old 03-22-2011, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by mothman52
I I think I'll check my fluid levels in my transfer cases at the first opportunity...
If the rig is new to you, I'd suggest changing all the fluids...gear box, diffs, tranny, engine, brake, steering, and coolant. You usually never know how severe the usage had been in the past, or if/when it was last serviced.
(just my 2 cents)

Old 03-22-2011, 10:56 PM

So true, Mr. Z. The only reason I would feel confident, was that I purchased my beast used from a guy who's son managed a garage, and he had just replaced the spark plugs and redone the valve cover gaskets. He'd owned it for the last five years.

Of course, you never know, but everything so for seems like it's been taken car of. Even the battery water was topped up correctly!

But still, great advice...

Old 03-22-2011, 11:13 PM
Banned

It always makes me feel better when I'm buying a car from someone car literate. I avoid female owned vehicles like the PLAGUE!

Old 03-23-2011, 05:14 PM

It's always a huge plus to be buying from someone who you know or trust.
I owned a '80 Toyota p/u that I was going to drive to Costa Rica and back, so I had to know it would get there a back...
I bought it from a mechanic/fireman.
The best of both worlds, someone who knows how to maintain a rig and has the time to do it!

Old 03-23-2011, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Sebba
It always makes me feel better when I'm buying a car from someone car literate. I avoid female owned vehicles like the PLAGUE!
Guess you don't get many females here on the forum

Old 03-23-2011, 09:16 PM
Banned

We've had a few.

Two of which I've dated LMAO, and one of which moved in with my family.