Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

87 SWB Monty seized motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 11:08 PM
Default 87 SWB Monty seized motor

I was hoping I didn't have to ask this question but it looks like it's the most likely conclusion. I think my motor is seized. I just picked up my Monty just before Christmas and the PO claimed it had electrical issues and wouldn't start. I was so excited about finding one of theses old school Monte's that I figured, what the heck, a couple of electrical issues, no problem. But after going through the electrical system with no response other than getting all the switches and gauges working and the starter clicking, still it's not turning over. So I grabbed my breaker bar and socket, applied it to the crank pulley bolt and tried rotating it clockwise and it won't budge. Seized right? Is there any other method to confirm this. If what I suspect is true and I have to replace the motor, is there a better swap for more torque and power that will fit with existing trans? What about electrical and emissions systems? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:43 AM

any other motor? depends if wide or narrow block (4 or 2wd) yada yada - yes there should be one or three that will bolt straight in.

seized engine? or gearbox. drop the trans and try again. drop the sump and take the rocker cover off and see what looks.