Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

90 Montero start problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 07:23 PM
Default 90 Montero start problems

I am stumped... my Montero is a 90 LS and I am having a unique starting issue. First, a little backstory:
the vehicle had set for over a year. Getting it running involved a new starter, fuel filter, injectors, valve cover gaskets, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, thermostat, hoses, and vacuum lines. Prior to sitting it had a new fuel pump, ignition coil, and computer brain. Also other parts too but that’s it related to ignition and fuel systems. Once running, everything seemed fine for almost two weeks and over 100 miles. Until the other day I started at my home drove to gas station, filled the tank (first time completely filling since getting running) and when I got in it wouldn’t start. It turned but wouldn’t fire. So now, it will start when it’s cold or been sitting. It will also start if I turn it off and start it back up right away. However, if it sits for a few minutes, then it won’t start again until it has sat for 20 minutes or so. Since the problem started I replaced the engine coolant sensor per a post on this forum and thought it was fixed but alas it wasn’t. Today I checked that I didn’t have a ground issue and didn’t seem to. I also checked all the hoses in my evaporations system and didn’t find any blockages. I am running out of ideas here.
thanks in advance for any ideas on what to check.

Old 01-21-2020, 01:40 AM

Were you able to ascertain if you have spark when the no-start condition happens? It's ether lack of spark or lack of fuel...

Old 01-21-2020, 08:53 AM

Hopefully today I will get to testing at least the spark. I guess it’s possible there is damage to the optics in the distributor That may cause it not spark when engine is hot? I will have to research testing fuel pressure, if I can do that without the tool or if I can borrow one.
Any ideas why either of those would work fine at cold start ups and driving conditions, then fail after engine is off just a few minutes?

Old 01-21-2020, 10:02 PM

Who knows... Many electrical issue do happen when engine ether cold or hot. Example: cold engine - wires make proper connection, engine starts and runs. Engine warms up, wire heats up, tab bends out of contact - no restart...