Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

91' Montero LS Stalled While Braking

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 09:44 PM
Default 91' Montero LS Stalled While Braking

On my way in to work tonight, the Monty stalled while braking at a red light. I started her up and drove on, until the next red, and she stalled again.
Not a rough stall, more like a, I'm going to sleep now, stall.
I sat at the red light and revved until it was green and drove on. Came to a few more stops and no issues. Braked, no stalling. Got to work and drove the lot, braking and going. No issues.
I'm not overly concerned at this point, unless it acts up some more.
Just looking for info on where to start looking.
Thanks

Old 11-28-2017, 12:07 PM

Check if any spark plug wires are loose. It can be a bad connector on a MAF sensor, or a big vacuum leak somewhere in the intake. With engine idling (if you're able to keep it idling) move things around under the hood and listen for a whistle of extra air getting into the intake. You can use a can of starter fluid or WD-40 to spray small amounts of it around various spots to see if you notice change in engine RPM. This helps locating vacuum leaks.

Old 12-10-2017, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by HunterD
Check if any spark plug wires are loose. It can be a bad connector on a MAF sensor, or a big vacuum leak somewhere in the intake. With engine idling (if you're able to keep it idling) move things around under the hood and listen for a whistle of extra air getting into the intake. You can use a can of starter fluid or WD-40 to spray small amounts of it around various spots to see if you notice change in engine RPM. This helps locating vacuum leaks.
Thanks Hunter, I appreciate the reply.

I did a bit of looking underneath and couldn't find anything out of order. It's also not happened again since. I'm not sure how consistent the symptoms would be for a vacuum leak.