Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2010 Outlander Stalled while Driving (with only 667 miles)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 02:50 PM
Default 2010 Outlander Stalled while Driving (with only 667 miles)

I have a 2010 Outlander V6. I have 667 miles. While driving to work this morning, the car stalled as I was turning into the entrance of my office building. Turned the key off and started the car again - started with no problem. Anyone else having this problem? Brought it to the dealer, they couldn't reproduce the problem and the computer logged no errors. My concern is that this will happen again (while driving down the highway).

Thanks!

Old 02-02-2010, 08:52 PM

usually dealers only look at their computers and dont do anything if nothing is on the computer

i would suggest you bring it to a mechanic friend and ask him to check it out for you
mostly likely they would do a visual inspection instead of just plug it into the computer and see

Old 02-02-2010, 09:24 PM
Banned

The torque converter got stuck a little. It happens.

Hopefully it won't happen again, if it does I'd suggest heading to the dealer and making them aware of it.

Actually I'd make the dealer aware of it now. You should know that they aren't the brightest of the bunch, and you'll likely be in and out multiple times before you get the issue down.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:19 PM
tcp
Default how?

how does a torque converter get "stuck a little". I know the mechanics of the device, the fluid vanes, the lockup in 4,5 and 6th gear. How and where can it possibly get stuck? If the lockup was still in place, each down shift as she slowed down would have been a big clunk.

If I had to guess, the original poster tapped her key while turning the corner and turned the ignition off. Maybe I'm wrong but there is a huge difference between stalling a manual transmission and having a torque converter cause this issue.

Originally Posted by Sebba
The torque converter got stuck a little. It happens.

Hopefully it won't happen again, if it does I'd suggest heading to the dealer and making them aware of it.

Actually I'd make the dealer aware of it now. You should know that they aren't the brightest of the bunch, and you'll likely be in and out multiple times before you get the issue down.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:21 PM
Banned

I'm not an automatic transmission guy, but I've heard of it being an issue on a few other non Mitsubishi vehicles. It happens exactly as described.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:04 AM

Can you replicate it on a steep hill? Try to stop mid hill and start to accelerate very slowly.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:44 AM

Thanks for all of your posts, it happened again this morning. I wasn't turning this time, I was driving through an intersection (flat - no hills) - no chance of hitting the key - by the way this is an automatic trasmission. Brought the car to the dealer yesterday, but with no code on the computer they couldn't diagnose the problem and couldn't recreate it. Brought it back today and left it with them to have they try to recreate the scenario tomorrow morning (start car in morning to warm up 5-10 min then drive for 20-25 minutes).

One of the things the service guy (volvo, not mitsubishi - dual dealership) said was that this is sometimes seen in volvo's when there is a bad batch of gas in the system. But wouldn't that cause the car to spit and studder? The car just dies with no noise or anything. I turn the car off then turn back on again and it starts up fine with no check engine light.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:22 PM
tcp
Default Very strange

Could be a poorly installed or sticking ignition relay, fuel pump relay or such. I would bet on an electrical issue. Let us know what they find. I don't recall anyone else posting with such an issue. You're the lucky first...

Originally Posted by marybethll
Thanks for all of your posts, it happened again this morning. I wasn't turning this time, I was driving through an intersection (flat - no hills) - no chance of hitting the key - by the way this is an automatic trasmission. Brought the car to the dealer yesterday, but with no code on the computer they couldn't diagnose the problem and couldn't recreate it. Brought it back today and left it with them to have they try to recreate the scenario tomorrow morning (start car in morning to warm up 5-10 min then drive for 20-25 minutes).

One of the things the service guy (volvo, not mitsubishi - dual dealership) said was that this is sometimes seen in volvo's when there is a bad batch of gas in the system. But wouldn't that cause the car to spit and studder? The car just dies with no noise or anything. I turn the car off then turn back on again and it starts up fine with no check engine light.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:30 PM

Yes, its got to be electrical. Otherwise, you would get stored error messages...
Let us know what they find. Did they give you a loaner?

Old 02-03-2010, 02:15 PM

Sounds electrical to me too. Short in the computer cutting power to the ignition or something . I've got a 2010 Endeavor as a loaner - Hope to hear from the dealer tomorrow.

Quick Reply: 2010 Outlander Stalled while Driving (with only 667 miles)