Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2010 Outlander Stalled while Driving (with only 667 miles)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 12:11 PM

So the dealer couldn't recreate the problem either last night or this morning so the tech's been on the phone with tech support at Mitsubishi. They are trying to tell me that the signal from my key (keyless start) is being interupted by the gps or the bluetooth from my phone. This can't be the case though because I start my car in the morning to warm up and go back in the house with my key in my pocket and the car doesn't die - it stays running, same thing at night when I get out of the car to get the mail - car stays running.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:06 PM

I doubt it is anything interference related unless you drive right beside a high power microwave transmitter. How low is your idle speed when the car warms up? Does everything else still work (radio, dashboard display, etc) when the car turns off? Or it is a complete electrical blackout?
You would get an error message about the key if it was key related. There are a couple which should appear on the MFD display if that was the case.
As a last resort, try disconnecting the battery for 15 mins...you will lose all your settings, but the car will reset the ECU and re-learn a bunch of things.
It's quite a strange problem, I haven't seen anybody with an Outlander report something like that.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:15 PM

There is no change with the dash lights, display, radio etc, everything else stays running, just motor dies. Instantly with no warning. If it happens again after I get the car back today I'll try the battery thing before bringing it back to the dealer. Another thing I was thinking of trying is that each time the car's died, I turned the key completely off before trying to restart the car. The display and everything shuts down at that point and the display says "see you" before it shuts down. I was thinking that if it happens again that I would not turn the key all the way off, but just turn it to accessory then try to restart. this shouldn't compltely shut down the computer and if the car doesn't start, then we may know that it's a computer issue. Just a thought to try.

By the way, the 2010 outlander has the new "fuse" system for the cell phone as well as the Ipod USB connector built in, don't know if maybe this might be what's causing the problem.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:12 PM

Hmm, so the engine shuts off, RPMs go to 0 yet no warning light comes on? Even no low oil pressure and that sort of stuff? At least the "charging system" warning light should come on, since the alternator is not generating power. So that is definitely strange since the car knows when it stalls...

I don't think its related to the accessories the car has. Rather, the ECU or something. You can try pulling the fuses out for the radio and stuff one by one and seeing if it help...but it shouldn't be your job to check that.

You don't happen to live in an extremely cold or humid climate...?

Old 02-05-2010, 11:19 AM

All of the dash instruments and accessories continue to work when the car dies. I do get a check engine light that comes one because the car is dead, but when I restart it goes out. My point was that when the car dies, all the electronic stuff says on with no interuption. I don't live in an extremely cold climate but it's cold enough to have to warm up the car in the morning before driving it. Hope to get the car back today. I don't think they've found anything. If it happens again, I'll bring it back with all of my accessories (inlcuding my phone) to see if that helps them recreate it. I've just been lucky that each time the car has stalled, I've had no one behind me.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:04 PM

Just got an idea...the issue most likely related to the new Idle Neutral Logic transmission which shifts to neutral when you stop and lowers the idle RPM. If the right sequence of events happens, the transmission engages before the RPM goes back up to a safe level and the car stalls. The car ECU thinks this is 100% normal, since the Outlander with a manual transmission will stall from time to time if the driver doesn't get the right amount of power to get the car moving. So you wont get an error code because nothing detectable is wrong.
I would try this:
Find a place with no traffic and stop somewhere. Put the car into manual shifting mode and while not moving put the car into 2nd gear. This will start the car in 2nd gear and require more engine power to move...which may trigger the stall to occur more frequently. Press the gas very lightly to increase the chances of a stall. If you can get that to happen, try to replace it at the dealers place.
Starting in 2nd doesn't stall the 09 and earlier Outlander, and it is recommended to start in 2nd if there is ice on the road.

Likewise, to decrease the changes of this happening, press the gas slightly more while holding the brakes when you are about to move. That should ensure it doesn't stall. It also doesn't do any damage since the torque converter wont get stressed any more than starting up a steep hill.

Last edited by ivanz; 02-10-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:11 AM
Default Engine shuts off

I also have a 2010 Outlander XLS with less than 300KM on it. Stoped at a red light and when it turned green I proceeded to press the gas and the vehicle started rolling backwards and I almost got rear ended.
Looked at the dash and everything was off including the engine. Placed the car in park and started the engine again with no further issues.

Basically the car went off as if I parked in the driveway and turned the engine off, no idiot lights on, no engine light nothing. Just as if it was parked!

Took the car to the dealer and got the same results, no code, never seen this before, checked if everything is tight and connected.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:23 AM
tcp
Default As stated before

This is really something new cropping up with the 2010 units. I would bet it has to do with a software issue in the Idle-neutral programming. Please keep after your dealers and also contact mitsubishi USA or Mitsubishi Canada (wherever you live) with details of the problem. The more they hear about it the better. I would bet there is a TSB out in the next 6 months that reflashes your idle-neutral firmware to newer code.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:52 AM

As soon as I saw this other report of the problem this morning, I contacted the dealer and stated that it has been reported on the froumn. I specifically asked the Service Manager to contact Mitsubishi Canada and see if they are aware of this and if not to let them know.
The vehicle has 300 KM on it, I stated that this is clearly a safety issue and I expect a response quickly and have already started telling them that I expect a replacement vehicle.
Meanwhile, I am a member of the Automobile Protection Assoctiation andf have already contacted them this morning and got some direction from them. If I do not get a firm answer on this issues I will be reporting this to Transport Canada as a safety related issue.
Mitsubishi should learn from all the safety issues that just hit Toyota and Honda and my hope is that they will respond quickly and proactively.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:15 PM

I hardly find it to be a safety issue...if it was, then all cars with a manual transmission would be a safety issue
You have driven a manual car before, right? Pretty easy to stall when you don't give it enough gas...
If it stalled while driving at high speeds, then it would be safety issue. I'm sure Mitsubishi will just reprogram the ECU to increase the idle speed...most likely a gasoline issue in North America with the high ethanol levels producing less power. Only the top octane usually doesn't have ethanol nowadays (i.e Super).

Quick Reply: 2010 Outlander Stalled while Driving (with only 667 miles)