Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2010 Outlander Stalled while Driving (with only 667 miles)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 09:39 PM
tcp
Default safety for sure

you're turning left, the light turns yellow and you stall out. Stuck in the middle of the intersection with traffic coming across. Unsafe. I drove standard VWs for 15 years and this would be more unsafe than a standard. An auto transmission shouldn't stall at whim.

Originally Posted by ivanz
I hardly find it to be a safety issue...if it was, then all cars with a manual transmission would be a safety issue
You have driven a manual car before, right? Pretty easy to stall when you don't give it enough gas...
If it stalled while driving at high speeds, then it would be safety issue. I'm sure Mitsubishi will just reprogram the ECU to increase the idle speed...most likely a gasoline issue in North America with the high ethanol levels producing less power. Only the top octane usually doesn't have ethanol nowadays (i.e Super).

Old 02-12-2010, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by tcp
you're turning left, the light turns yellow and you stall out. Stuck in the middle of the intersection with traffic coming across. Unsafe. I drove standard VWs for 15 years and this would be more unsafe than a standard. An auto transmission shouldn't stall at whim.
If it stalls, it won't move at all once you release the brakes...so you won't be in anybodys path if they are rushing to beat a yellow. I doubt people would purposely hit you when their light turns green...you have right of way to finish your turn anyways. I'm sure if you drove manual this has happened to you a number of times...did you ever get hit?
I agree its a problem, but not a safety problem like stuck throttle or brake failure.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Default 2010 New Outalander Stalled twice in first 100 km

I just bought a new 2010 outlander and the engine stalled twice at a stop. Restarted the engine with no problem. No check engine, gone to the dealer, nothing in the computer.

It seems as the same problem as previous post, the engine idle goes below 500 rpm when the idle neutral transmission kicks in to save gas. That`s the new way of saving gas by adding a new gizmo that sounds unreliable. The dealer told me that the computer needs to adjust to my driving....Does anyone having this problem was able to solve the mysterious mitsubishi idle neutral logic and prevent the car from stalling at a stop sign?

Old 06-06-2019, 09:39 AM

I have a 2018 Mitsubishi, low miles (7000 and it is 6/6/2019). I basically drive to work (15 mi and come home). Today while getting off the highway and 2 mi up the road to my job, I turned into the parking lot and it turned off, so stalled. No lights, no warning or anything. I've called the dealer to have them look at it but after reading the continuous same complaint, I worry they will not find a code or be able to reproduce it. I too feel this is a safety issue. This could happen while I am driving rush hour on the highway!!!

Old 09-15-2019, 01:33 PM
Default Outlander shuts off with no warning

My 2018 Outlander (38,000 miles) shuts off without warning! I was driving 60 miles an hour down the highway when all of a sudden it just shut off. Looked at the dash and it said see you, while still in drive. Luckily I was able to coast over to the side of the road even though I lost the steering. I have taken it to the dealer once already for the same problem and because it didn’t have any codes they couldn’t see a problem! This is a serious safety issue and now I’m terrified to drive it! Does anyone know what causes this and how they fix it?

Originally Posted by miamac
I have a 2018 Mitsubishi, low miles (7000 and it is 6/6/2019). I basically drive to work (15 mi and come home). Today while getting off the highway and 2 mi up the road to my job, I turned into the parking lot and it turned off, so stalled. No lights, no warning or anything. I've called the dealer to have them look at it but after reading the continuous same complaint, I worry they will not find a code or be able to reproduce it. I too feel this is a safety issue. This could happen while I am driving rush hour on the highway!!!

Old 06-26-2021, 11:32 PM
Default Was this issue resolved?

I'm experiencing a similar issue with a 2009 model. Was this issue resolved, seeing this post is an old one. Any advise you can give? What happened to your cars over time?

Originally Posted by olivertwist
I just bought a new 2010 outlander and the engine stalled twice at a stop. Restarted the engine with no problem. No check engine, gone to the dealer, nothing in the computer.

It seems as the same problem as previous post, the engine idle goes below 500 rpm when the idle neutral transmission kicks in to save gas. That`s the new way of saving gas by adding a new gizmo that sounds unreliable. The dealer told me that the computer needs to adjust to my driving....Does anyone having this problem was able to solve the mysterious mitsubishi idle neutral logic and prevent the car from stalling at a stop sign?