Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

98 montero sport wont start (But it will sometimes)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 08:07 AM
Default 98 montero sport wont start (But it will sometimes)

Let me first start out and say I am new to the forums and a total newbie to this vehicle. I bought it a month ago at a garage sale for 700 bucks. She's a beater, but I don't care. Ive worked through the first of the little problems and gave her a tune up and she runs fine. Getting her to start is another problem leaving me to scratch my head. When I turn the key over, Nothing! The battery is fine, the starter is fine, ive replaced the clutch safety switch, and still I will only start about 10% of the time on the first try. Now if I sit there and just keep trying eventually it will turn over again, but sometimes that can take up to 5 miinutes of trying before it will start again. Anyone have any GOOD suggestions as to where to look next. Not sure if the ignition is the problem or some sort of sending unit to the engine, Im just really unsure of where to go next since it wasnt the clutch safety switch. Thanks for anyones help that is willing to give it. Have a great day!

Old 06-21-2011, 05:09 PM

You don't say how many miles but I've had to replace the ignition switch twice in my full size montero. In each case the start contacts were corroded/burnt - which could be your problem.

If you have a basic 12V test lamp, take the lower steering column cover off and find the back of the ignition switch. Identify the "start" wire - farthest from the off position - and hook up your lamp to that terminal with a jumper wire.

See if the lamp lights every time you try to start. If not, the switch is bad and easy to replace. If it's good then at least you know the problem is somewhere else.

If not the switch then I'd go straight to the start solenoid and hook up the lamp to that terminal. If the lamp lights every time then you may have sticking solenoid. If not then keep tracing between the starter and the key switch until you find the problem.

Ron

Old 06-23-2011, 01:56 PM

thanks for the suggestions. I looked at the ignition wires and hooked up the multimeter to it and everything looks ok. Next question is where is the started solenoid located at? Is it on the starter or located somewhere else? Thanks for all your help.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:32 PM

Not sure about your Sport but on my truck it's built into the starter. Should be one small wire going to the starter that fires the whole assy. If you have voltage there when the key is turned to start - but no cranking - then I'd replace the starter/solenoid.

Ron