Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

99 Montero Sport alarm...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 02:51 PM
Default 99 Montero Sport alarm...

The alarm on this thing has a mind of its own and occasionally goes off at will. Does anyone know of common problems with this system? How hard is it to disable? Do I need take it to a dealer?

Thanks

Old 01-28-2008, 10:35 AM
Default RE: 99 Montero Sport alarm...

My 99 has the same problem. Every single other persons keyless remote makes it go off! Even store alarm systems will set it off. Beware do not leave your keys in the ignition, although no one's fob has ever unlocked my sport, a few times I have left the keys in the igntion only to find them locked in it when I came back after the alarm went off! ??? Sounds goofy I know, but it has happened to me!

The only thing I could do on a vacation trip last year was pull the fuse out for the alarm, (located by driver's side left foot, behind plastic corner panel. Otherwise, everyone's fobs would set it off at all hours of morning and night. Really made other vacationers mad, even though the ones whose fobs set it off thought it was funny and kept doing it non-stop, needless to say I would replace the fuse before we left out for the day's events, the alarm would immediately go nuts, but would shut off as soon as I hit my fob to unlock it or started it. It was a pain, but we survived! I know this didn't help much it at all, but it does help to know it's not just only yours!

Old 02-01-2008, 01:43 PM

Hmm... I didn't think I had the same problem until this morning. I parked and headed into the store and a new suburban pulled up beside me and, sure enough, when the guy got out and hit his key fob my alarm went off! It hadn't gone off in weeks and I thought it must have been me accidently arming the system when I put the keys in my pocket. Now I'm completely paranoid again, I guess I'll call a Mitsu dealer and see if they can disarm the system for me.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Old 02-01-2008, 01:57 PM

I just got off the phone with the local Mitsu dealer. He had never heard of the problem we are having but there are a couple of bulletins out on our alarm system- none that seem to apply to our problem. He was helpful, and took down my VIN and said he would have a tech get ahold of Mitsu and see what they could come up with.

I'll let you know what they say...

Old 02-01-2008, 11:11 PM

hello! i have heard of your problem. there was a t.s.b out on it. some dealers were finding that the hood sensor was not high enough for the hood to press it down when it was shut and could cause the alarm to go off. installing washers under the sensor then bolting it down gave it the height it needed. i also have seen door swiches for the alarm system go bad. usually the door locks start acting up as well when that happens. and yes, sometimes another manufacturer's remote can set off your alarm. those remotes work off a radio frequency, and there are only so many available. so they do duplicate it. t.s.b out on that as well. hope this helps!! greg..

Old 02-02-2008, 01:49 PM

Thanks Greg. Appreciate the input.

Regarding the TSB on other remotes setting off the alarm- do you remember if the Mitsu offered a fix for it?

Jeff

Old 08-14-2016, 04:41 PM

Can anyone tell me if there is a procedure for resetting the alarm system on a 2000 Montero Sport after it has sat with a dead battery for several months?

I just purchased this vehicle yesterday--jump started it with no alarm issue to first check its running condition--then again to take it home. Upon attempting to start this morning--the alarm started immediately upon my connecting jumper cables--and continued once the car was started--and would not go off after driving it into place until it was shut off. As soon as cables hooked up again--I could hear the servo power up and shortly thereafter the alarm began again until cables removed.