Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Brake Fluid Change on '01 Montero LTD

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007 | 08:39 PM
Default RE: Brake Fluid Change on '01 Montero LTD

I have an '03 Montero Limited (full size). I bled my brakes, front and rear with the vehicle off, using the pedal?!?! While I know that I did not bleed the accumulator, it did seem that i bled the rears properly.

What am I missing Manybrews?

Off Roader, the purpose of the accumulator on my vehicle is for the stability control system, and the ABS system For the stability control system, the computerwill apply the brakes to a particular wheel in order to help the driver maintain control of the vehicle. For the ABS system it supplies power to pulsate the brakes.

Old 05-01-2007 | 09:04 PM

ORIGINAL: Winshawn

I have an '03 Montero Limited (full size). I bled my brakes, front and rear with the vehicle off, using the pedal?!?! While I know that I did not bleed the accumulator, it did seem that i bled the rears properly.
then you did not bleed anything but the fronts correctly.

Off Roader, the purpose of the accumulator on my vehicle is for the stability control system, and the ABS system For the stability control system, the computerwill apply the brakes to a particular wheel in order to help the driver maintain control of the vehicle. For the ABS system it supplies power to pulsate the brakes.
actually, the purpose on the montero has only a little to do with the ABS. the accumluator on this car is primarily for the hydraulic boost and rear brake application.

Old 05-07-2007 | 07:25 PM

I used the motive bleeder for the fronts and rears and every thing appeared to work fine on my 03 LTD. I used ATE super blue fluid so I know I purged all the original amber fluid out of the system since I was getting clean blue fluid out at each caliper. I never used a scan tool. Not even sure how to actuate the ABS pump with the scan tool. Is this tool Mitsu specific? A generic scan tool does not have the ability to "turn-on" specific components of the car...

Old 05-07-2007 | 07:59 PM

you do not need the scan tool to properly bleed the rear brake lines (although you DO need the car running). They are NOT bled by you "pumping" the pedal, but rather the hydraulic pump running as you apply the pedal.
if you "pump" the pedal with the car off, you are not really bleeding the rears properly (although you may manage to squeeze a little fluid out due to residual pressure.)

you need the scan tool to bleed the brake booster assemblys internal valving.

there is 3 pages in the service manual dedicated to the proper bleeding procedure.