Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Brake Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 11:26 AM
Default Brake Replacement

I bought my wife a 2002 montero sport and I noticed on a trip home over the holiday that there was a ringging noise coming from the front left wheel well. I am thinking this means it is time to change the brake pads. The truck has 50k on it and she uses it for regular commuting to work but we do have the New England winter do deal with. I am thinking of upgrading the brakes from stock but don't know exactly what to get. I am going to put a hitch on this year but don't plan to do a whole lot of towing just junk from the HOme Depot and such. I haven't decided if I will look for a big brake kit or just stock size. I was just wondering what you folks reccommend to help me get the most for my money. Thanks in advance for your input. I haven't worked on a 4WD before I have always preffered cars until we moved to NH and I saw all of the SNOW!!!

Old 12-30-2005, 12:47 AM
Default RE: Brake Replacement

If you have the 16" wheels on your truck, you may already have the big brake kit (as opposed to 99 and older Sports). From what i know, there aren't any aftermarket kits available that are any bigger. You might be able to find some cross drilled rotors but i don't think Home Depot and back will warrant that kind of expense. The only thing remaining at that point are a set of HD pads. I've put EBC Green Stuff on both my 98 Sport and my 95 Montero with excellent results. Try clicking on the link on my signature and browse that site. Lots of good Montero Sport info there.

Joel, CA

Old 12-30-2005, 01:09 AM

I like satisfied pro ceramics. Hey Joel, hows the dust on those EBC's? I was looking at them for my next set. I tow a 3000 lb bayliner with a Full size monty ltd.

Old 12-30-2005, 04:10 PM

Though i just sold my 98 Montero Sport, the dust created from the brakes was very minimal which was great for the chrome wheels. Same goes for my 95 Montero- though the chrome is pretty much tarnished and in bad condition. I'm going to switch to Green Stuff pads on my 3KGT VR4 when it's time for new stoppers.

Joel, CA