Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

buying a montero

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 05:40 PM
Default buying a montero

Thinking about buying a 2001 or 02 montero ltd both have around 80k. Are they reliable, is it easy to get parts for in U.S., independent or dealer mechanic and other helpful info would be appreciated. Thank you

Old 06-04-2011, 11:22 PM

Hi,

I Just got a 2000 montero Sport a couple of weeks ago... i Like the fact that it has 4wd and ... well ... that its a big car ... but You have to know that its an SUV ...

This means that its not gonna be easy on gas ... mine only gets around 12 - 13 miles in the city maybe it has not been maintained great ... i'm not sure .... it has 118K miles on it ...

What i have noticed is that it is kinda Expensive to maintain the vehicle...

The quote from firestone to change the breaks and rotors ... was around 700 Dollars !!!! ... its gonna cost me like 430 to do it at the least expensive place ... but thats quite a bit of money !! ...

Replacing the spark plugs is going to be 170 bucks before tax ...

the timing belt is certainly above 1000 USD ... I'm a student and i cant afford all that ... the gasget cover is gonna cost like 350 dollars ...

If u know the previous owner ... or there are records of maintenance of the car and you know that you can afford the coming maintenance charges ... or problems the car has ... well Go for it . its a nice car ... at least the guys in this forum really like it ...

Even my friend was telling me that the interior of the montero sport i have is nicer than the Pajero... meaning more space ...

What I'm trying to say is that this car will need More labor than other cars in whatever you want to do ... but its got a 4.6 rating in KBB ... which is not bad at all ... I cant judge the car from a 4 week experience ...

I do hope you make the right choice ...

In summation - Its not a budget car ... and its not as easy to fix stuff in it by yourself as smaller cars ...

Good Luck ...

Old 06-04-2011, 11:53 PM

Thanks for the information, didn't know repairs was so high. I hope repairs we be limited. Good luck in school, good luck with montero sport, give me a 3 month update if possible

Old 06-05-2011, 09:56 PM

I have had an excellent history with our Monty...it's been reliable and outstanding on the trail.
Most of the service I do my self, but when I have taken it in for something, it has not seemed any worse than any other rig that I've owned.

I've been very satisfied with the rig, it suits our needs very well.
It is a great people hauler around town (expect for the MPG).
It is a great expedition rig that the whole family can fit in comfortably.
This is the main reason we have the rig...two plus weeks in the back country can be done comfortably.

I would recommend the Montero if it suits your needs.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:23 AM

Thanks Mr Z for your valuable info