Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Buying Montero Sport & shipping to Europe

Old 03-27-2008, 10:00 AM
Default Buying Montero Sport & shipping to Europe

Hi All,

I am based in UK.
I am looking at the Montero Sport model for a while and I am gathering information how I can make a purchase of a vehicle in the States and then to ship it across the water.

The problems I am facing are:

- how to check the vehicle mechanical condition and potential financial outstandings.
- how to arrange the payment in advance to the seller, avoiding potential fraught, etc.

Can anybody advice or share experience on the matter, please?

Thanks ina advance

All the best
Penio

Old 03-28-2008, 09:28 PM
Default RE: Buying Montero Sport & shipping to Europe

As far as checking the mechanical, just find a buyer that has documentation of service, and prefer a one-owner vehicle. If the vehicle has over60 thousand miles then be sure to see proof of timing belt change. Basically, documentation of service..!!!
If the person has THE TITLE for the vehicle in their hand then it means they own the vehicle free and clear and can legally sell it. Once THE TITLE is signed over to you by the person that is named on the title then ownership can be transfered too you.
*Do not send someone $$ in advance.
Here is an example of a good sale: With your left hand, hand the person your cash. Meanwhile, taking the SIGNED title from them with your right hand.
Find out if the seller will take "travelers cheques", CASH always works, credit card...etc. There's a couple hundred ways to screw someone using "other than cash". Don't complicate a simple transaction, bring the monay!
If you are not planning on coming to The States to buy in person... a simple wire transfer should work just fine. Just don't try to get someone's bank account #'s involved or they will think you are trying to feed them the green weenie..so to speak.

That's all I have.

Good luck!

Old 03-31-2008, 06:51 AM

Thanks very much, SyntorX!

It is not much different over here in UK.
The difficulty for me is that I am not planning to fly to USA for this purchase and needed to know if anything I can go wrong. Thanks Penio

Old 04-02-2008, 10:08 PM

Regarding payment methods, you can check with your bank if you can use a "letter of credit"

Practically the bank serves as intermediary.You will need to negotiate the charges for the banks service with the bank and also the seller.

Regarding shipping, you will need to check witha local NVO or freight forwarder what it costs to bring it in and what are the import regulations and requirements.
FYI, if you buy a used car the seller should remove all liquidsand fluids, otherwise it will be considered hazardous freight and the transport costs may double. The best option will be to ship in 1x20ft container and depending on where in US it ships from, it cancost between $2500-$4K only transport without duty. I have heard that import charges into UK are hefty.

I do not think it is worth it, especially with the gas prices close to $11/gallon in UK.

Anyway, good luck.