Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Cig lighter power

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 11:19 AM
Default Cig lighter power

I put this in interior wiring and got 0 responses. Has anybody "hot wired" the cig lighter to work all the time. Charging phone and using GPS is a pain when you shut down.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:46 PM

I haven't rewired the cig. lighter power source, but I did wire up some lights so that they work whenever desired.
In the fuse box under the hood there is at least one aux. fuse, this will provide power with/without 'key'. Run your wire from this point to the cig. lighter. I'd run this with an in-line fuse as extra protection. My brother did this same thing you're looking into in his Toyota, and he even installed a separate switch for the power supply inside the center console. Think about how many amps you will be pulling when you purchase fuses and wire size.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:22 AM

You probably already were thinking this but just in case..........If you do run a separate wire from the fuse panel to the socket make sure you remove the original power wire from the socket - don't tie the two wires togther - or everything else on the ACC circuit you don't want will be powered all the time. Tape over the end of the original wire and secure it away from any metal surfaces. I also agree with adding a separate in-line fuse - there is no such thing as being too careful when running always-on hot wires through your truck. Place the in-line fuse as close to the power source as possible so that the entire length of the new wire is protected.

Ron

Old 03-13-2012, 06:26 PM

Great info, That's what I had in mind, but needed verifcation. Thanks

Old 03-14-2012, 06:30 AM
Default Cig lighter Socket

Hi Guys
Just wire a complete new socket direct from the battery via a 10amp fuse link
This will give you power to charge your mobile when ignition is switched off
there is usually plenty of room thro the firewall somewhere to get wires thro ok

Regards
Keith