Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Creaking noise from steering column

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 03:19 PM
Default Creaking noise from steering column

2002 Limited. 100k miles. Did not make noise yesterday, making it today.

Sounds like a creaking noise down by the firewall where the steering column goes into the rubber boot in the firewall. Similar to the sound a leather chair would make if you shift your weight on it. Makes noise at low speed or stopped with very small turns to the steering wheel. Once I'm moving at a good speed I can't hear the noise over the noise of the usual rattles that my rig has.

I packed krytox grease into the space between the steering column and the rubber boot (at the firewall/ bulkhead) and this nearly eliminates the noise (it's not something you would notice anymore unless you listen hard for it and even then barely).

I noticed there's a plastic tie wrap around the steering column about 10 inches above the firewall where the column gets slightly skinnier. I tried shoving it down towards the firewall boot (thinking it belonged there) but I couldn't get it over the fatter part of the column. I don't see what the point of it is but it must be there for a reason. Right now it's loose and not holding anything down.

I've seen a lot on the interwebz saying this noise could be tie rods or wheel bearings or struts or 10 different other things.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if they proactively did something to fix it?

TIA.