Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

engine REassembly question

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 09:47 AM
Default engine REassembly question

I pulled the heads off my 02 MonteroSport ES 3.0 liter.
The driver side head was siezed..the machine shop said the cam was literally stuck in the head. So, I need a new head, since the other one dosent need milled or anything is it ok to reuse it and just replace the one with a rebuilt? (question #1)

All thats in my engine compartment is the block with the crank and pistons and such...
How do I find TDC on theCOMPRESSION stroke?? (question #2)
Is it ok to turn the crank in either direction??? (? #3)

And finally...the factory manual I have assumes alot..so it basically lists steps in assembly and disassembly, not how to do it. I am wondering if there are specific things to look 4 or not do when reassembling..like turning the crank in the wrong direction.

Thank you for any input/experiance!

Mike

Old 03-29-2008, 12:32 AM
Default RE: engine REassembly question

as long as the heads are off you can turn it any direction you like. have the head that is good rebuilt, or at least replace the valve stem seals. they do go bad. will burn oil when they do!! notice i saidWHEN not IF!! dont worry about finding the compression stroke. before you put the heads back on, just line up the timming marks. the crank sensor blade has a V groove in it and the oil pump housing has a raised indention on it. line those 2 up and your good to go!! any GOOD manual will show you the timming marks. thats all you have to do, is make sure those timming marks are dead on!! same goes for the cams. if you dont line up those timing marks it wont start and might bend valves when you try to crank it. that motor is what called a zero tolerance motor. meaning there is no clearance between piston and valve. good luck!! greg...