Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Fuel leak =3

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 01:23 PM
Default Fuel leak =3

Hello, I recently replaces my spark plug and wires on my 1995 montero sport 3.5L. While replacing my spark plugs I notice a lot of oil in my spark plug wells so i replace both valve cover gaskets. I didn't replace my coils as I don't know how to tell if they're good or bad so I cleaned them from oil and put them back in. I didn't feel and click or sense the the coils connected to the spark plug not sure if that's normal as this is my first time working with coils. So I connected everything back but now I am leaking fuel from the engine and not sure where its coming from, I did notice that the it looks like the leak its coming from my exhaust system, well from Exhaust pipes connected to the engine from the bottom. Or they might just be a leak from the top and dripping all the way to the bottom. Could the coils not connecting to the spark plugs be the problem or did I miss a hose all together? Or could a O ring from the injections break by putting pressure from the top when I kinda leaned on it while i was replacing my valve cover gaskets? Any help would help. Thank you!

P.s. I get a lot of white smoke coming out from my exhaust but I assume its from my fuel leak? And forgot to mention that i also replace my fuel pump.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:31 PM

I also did some research and they said it could be my FPR but I can't even find it! Mind you, I have the repair manual. I noticed I have a hose missing behind my throttle body. While reading up some more I found a forum where it says that the hose to that come from the fuel rail from the fuel injection. But I don't even remember disconnecting that hose!!!

Old 05-19-2014, 03:06 PM

Better not drive it that much if you have fuel leaking on your exhaust system enough to cause smoke...wheres theres smoke, there will be fire. Clean everything up, turn the key to on so the fuel pump comes on and look for the leak.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:38 AM

I have it parked on my driveway waiting to get fixed I'm not driving it at all, don't want to risk it.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:15 AM

white smoke isnt burning fuel...

Old 05-20-2014, 06:37 AM

No but gas will produce white smoke if poured on a hot exhaust....

Old 05-20-2014, 08:55 AM

The white smoke is usually an indicator of a water leak into the cylinders. Fuel leak would result in black smoke (unburnt fuel). You may have two separate problems. Check your engine oil and see if it smells a lot like gasoline. If it does, then you have a fuel leak and fuel is flowing through the cylinders down into the pan. You may have a fuel injector that is stuck open and is dumping in gas. Fuel pressure regulator is also a possible culprit.
If, on the other hand, your oil is like a chocolate milkshake -you have a coolant leak (as in a blown head gasket).
I can't imagine that the work you did with the valve cover gaskets and spark plugs would be related to the issue you have. Did you have to disconnect any fuel lines while working on the top end? If so, make sure you did not cross them during the install.

One more thing - I'm not familiar with the '95 engine, but did you replace spark plug seals if your engine has them? On later model Monteros spark plug seals are separate from the valve cover gasket but you need to replace them if you are getting oil into the spark plug wells.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:35 AM

My bad, thought he was saying the white smoke was coming from the exhaust manifold/pipes around the engine, not out of the exhaust....as in the fuel is leaking and dripping onto the hot exhaust at the engine, not out of the tailpipe.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:52 AM

Ok I took the oil cap off and it smells like gasoline, checked the oil and it still looks like oil. So it will either be the FPR or an open injector, got an idea of how to check which injector is open? I found this but not sure if ill work for my truck since I have to the intake plenum off to get to the fuel injection same goes for checking the FPR. I feel like replacing both all together since they've never been replaced, eh?

Watch "Mazda 626 - Fuel Injector Leak Test" on YouTube
Mazda 626 - Fuel Injector Leak Test:

Watch "Fuel injector test - bad fuel injector symptoms -…" on YouTube
Fuel injector test - bad fuel injector symptoms -…:

Also I did replace the seal for the spark plugs since they were separate from the cover, it was hell to find someone that sold them though aside from the dealer that wanted $100 for them.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:16 AM

I found this on ebay thinking of getting it and just avoid the whole check which part is working. Guy says it came off a running montero sport rs 3.5l that had a blown head gasket.

Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...890978&alt=web