Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Fuel starved causing slow start?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 09:54 PM
Default Fuel starved causing slow start?

Hi all - purchased a 1994 Montero 3.0L a couple months ago. Has about 270,000 miles. So far very impressed - everything still works, air blows cold, 4wd works great, plenty of power, etc.

I am trying to resolve a problem when starting. It acts like it's starved for fuel. You have to turn the key over several times (25-30 times). Cranking longer makes no difference. Leaving the key on longer before attempting to start makes no difference. When it does start, it dies a few times before it will stay running. Once it's warmed up a little, it runs completely fine. I can turn it off and it will start right up again until it has sat for several hours.

This week I have replaced the fuel pump, strainer and fuel filter and it has made no difference at all. Behaves the exact same way! Hoping you all have some suggestions? Many thanks from Wyoming!

Old 10-26-2017, 01:16 AM

I would suggest to put on a fuel pressure gauge to see how the pressure behaves during startup. Before I read the last line of your post, my though was - fuel pump weak or has a bad check valve. Since you replaced that, there goes my theory
It is possible that you have a bad fuel pressure regulator. It may allow fuel to drain back to tank when sitting off for long time, thus loosing all fuel pressure. Another thing to check is fuel pump relay. If you can get to the fuel pump harness connector, see if you are getting a steady 12v. feed to the pump when cranking. If you have a low voltage or intermittent signal, that would indicate an electrical issue (wiring or relay).

Old 10-26-2017, 12:21 PM

at the electrical connection right before the pump I'm getting about 10.2 volts while cranking. No volts at all when the key is on - has to be cranking to get volts. Should I be getting a full 12 volts? Or at least closer to it? And shouldn't I be getting some power when the key is on?

Where's the relay specific to the fuel pump?

Old 10-26-2017, 08:26 PM

Most fuel injected vehicles have voltage at the pump for a short period just as you turn on the key to prime the pump. After that only when engine is turning. It is possible that it only gets voltage when cranking. Ignore that for now. 10v. is kind of low. Now check voltage at the fuel pump relay to see if you have 12v going to and from it. If you do - there is some issue with the wire going to the pump (old, corroded, a break, etc.)