Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

!!!! Help Needed !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 08:10 PM
Default !!!! Help Needed !!!!

Hi everyone,

I am living in Chile and I have a Mitsubishi Montero (shogun or pajero) 2006 DID. The engine model, I believe, is 4M41. My wife (is her car) and I love this car, and we have traveled with it over 100K KM during last 3 years and it has worked very well) Here is a picture of engine bay:

(I just post another thread to ask possible help to know which model is it: https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...-engine-44766/)

It has about 200,000 KM and started to have power loss problem about two or three months ago. When the engine started (cold), it was ok and sounds with noise of valves just like everyday, but when the temperature went up a little and the temperature gauge moved up a little (when reached the lowest mark), it "refuse" to accelerate (feel the turbo is not working, and valves noise disappeared) and pop out a lot of black smoke, if I insist to accelerate, it will continue to "resist" a while (4-5 seconds) and with some vibrations of engines plus black smoke, and then start to move with power. When the temperature goes up to normal operation, the symptom disappeared at almost 100% of time.

Before perform a scanning (I don't own a scanner, but one is on the way), I removed four fuel injectors and then send them to clean (I opened two of them and then close them later). Then I reinstalled these serviced injectors back (but without air bleeding of return pipe). And also I cleaned the carbon of EGR valve. After the installation, the engine started (with some vibration at the beginning) but lose completely boost and pop some "light-blue" smoke and with strong smell (I was told it is the odor of no 100% burned combustion). The engine works, but with no any force and feel the turbo is not working at all.

I tested on road and when I insisted it to accelerate, the engine fault light turn on.

Day before yesterday I hire a guy to did a scanning to it, the result came with 3 codes:

12 BOOST SNSR
41 THRT VAL SOL
51 EGR POS. SNSR

I think the reason that they are there is because I insisted to accelerate on the road.

Yesterday I change fuel filters (there are two filters, I was told that one of them was installed by the local dealer when the they sold it), and bleeding all air possible, it seems a little better but with the same power loss problem.

Also I removed the TPS and clean it, and measured the resistance (16.1 ohm between pin 1 and 3 or 4 and 6), but for reason that I have no any information about this model of engine, I don't know it's ok or not (it warm a little bit when engine running):

Measuring the resistance:

Could you please give me some idea about the reason of the fault?

I will provide more information and or pictures if you need.

Thank you very much in advance for your time and any help.