Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Horn Activate itself '01 Montero LTD

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 07:37 PM

I am a new Mitsubishi owner, and new to the forum. I just wanted to say thank you very much! I made this repair to my 2002 Montero Sport, in about 45 minutes, for the cost of a few inches of electrical tape! Incredibly valuable info! Thanks again!

Old 01-27-2014, 01:01 AM

Thanks to drbenz for attaching those pictures

Old 09-05-2014, 10:47 AM
Default What to do first?

Hello before i disassemble the steering do i need to disconnect the battery first how to remove the metal part the exploding one? and how to remove the rivets on the platic?

Originally Posted by drbenz
Since this forum helped me fix the problem with my friends Montero I thought I would help help by posting some pictures of what I did.
Please realize that this is not a job for an inexperienced person to try, air bags can blow up and if you drop it it may not work when it is needed, don't cause yourself grief trying to save money. Having said that here it is:
The horn contacts are made into the air bag assembly so the steering wheel has to come off (one bolt on the left side, requires a long 8mm allen wrench), then the four rivets get drilled out. Disassemble the four pieces of the air bag to get the horn contact pad at the bottom of the assembly. You will need to carefully seperate the halves of the horn contact pad and then you can see the very small dots that should be keeping the two copper contact sheets apart. As you can see it doesn't take much movement to squash the little dots to make contact and activate the horn. A previous post mentioned using tape to maintain the seperation needed just don't cover too much of the contact area or it will be very hard to honk the horn when you are done, I cut small strips of black electrical tape and put one small piece close to the edge at the top bottom sides and one in the center. Now just put it all back together, replace the pop rivets and you are the proud owner of a repaired horn. I hope you thought to center or lock the steering wheel before you started so the wheel will be straight after it is reinstalled.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:10 AM

today I discovered this forum, two days ago I awakened in the middle of the night to the horn in my 2002 Montero blowing without no end. The only way to stop the horn blowing was to disconnect the battery cable. I'm hoping in the year of 2014 there is a easier way to fix this problem.