Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

The horn wouldn't stop on 2003 Montero Limited & How I fixed it

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by SoMaine
Karen - thanks for this great fix. I recently moved back to Maine fr AZ. One night back in October this problem first occurred. Nothing would stop it so I disconnected the battery cable. I don't drive the vehicle often - only 55K mi. I just reconnected the cables today and four hours later, 4:30 PM (28 degrees - not garaged) the horn went of again. I just disconnected the baterry cable one more time, but want to get it fixed right. Could you email the pics to me directly with your instruction set.

Thank you. I am not that handy but should be able to find a helper to do it.

i noticed with the thread tools it doesn't embed the pics.. but what i did do is send you a printable pdf that looks like it worked.. give that a try.

biggest thing is the need to solder the switch together that is probably not a skill everyone has.. its not that hard but does take a little finesse so you don't get solder dripping everywhere (its similar to soldering copper plumbing pipes). I know what you mean about needing very clear pics and i tried to do that here.. hope it gets you fixed without breaking the bank!

Last edited by KarenV6; 12-08-2010 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:52 AM

Hello! I know this is already an old thread.. But I hope you guys are still there. I just wanna know to which wire you connected the last red wire that is connected to the button as seen on the 9th pic. I can see that it was squeezed into a bunch of wires but its hard to see where it is really connected. Is it connected to the red wire as seen on the first pic or the Green/black wire on the 2nd pic. Thank you for your help!!!! You really did a good job on that button.... very neat!

Old 07-30-2013, 05:40 AM
Default Where to tap the red wire

Originally Posted by nyogski
Hello! I know this is already an old thread.. But I hope you guys are still there. I just wanna know to which wire you connected the last red wire that is connected to the button as seen on the 9th pic. I can see that it was squeezed into a bunch of wires but its hard to see where it is really connected. Is it connected to the red wire as seen on the first pic or the Green/black wire on the 2nd pic. Thank you for your help!!!! You really did a good job on that button.... very neat!
Hi there, the Red wire from the button taps in to that black/green wire (which is actually the horn wire) in the 2nd pic using a wire tap crimp. Thank you, I am glad this is helping.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:42 AM
Thumbs up Horn Fixed

This worked exactly like you said. After digging through parts, I needed to buy about $6.50 in parts @ Radio Shack. Took about 30 minutes. Probably would have been quicker if my hands weren't so big.

Really appreciate this post.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:53 PM

quote from post
disable it by removing that horn wire under the wheel too.

QUESTION
How do i remove the steering wheel cover? Any pics? or locations to find any?

Originally Posted by KarenV6
I honestly wouldn't.. if it isn't broken really no need, but I would at least take note of how it occurs (cold snaps/sudden barometric changes) and what to do to fix it immediately.. (push around on the horn pad on the wheel) and disable it by removing that horn wire under the wheel too. So much online how guys tried ripping out fuses, pulling batt cables, thought it was an alarm issue and it's really a simple problem.

It's crazy, we really don't drive ours much, its got less than 60K on it, but it is not garaged. That might be the difference here with yours. Yep, I too have that freaky temp gauge thing too Comes back on for a few days after i reconnect the batt, then disappears again..

Old 04-14-2014, 06:01 AM
Default steering wheel cover

I don't remember if it was above or below but its very close to the where you see the steering wheel attach to the car and a very obvious square/rectangle you pry open with a screwdriver to pop off. I believe mine was underneath the wheel but I've heard from others its on top. (sorry we sold this car a few years ago but wish you luck)

Old 11-15-2014, 12:16 PM
Default 2001 Montero Sport

Thank you for much for the excellent info and description. I actually need to do something similar on my 2001 Montero Sport. I noticed you are sure to mention that the wire harness may not be the same. Have you or anyone else tried this with the Sport? If so, what would be different? Thanks again for your help!

Old 06-13-2016, 07:54 PM
Default Thank you

Thank you for the info and I will be trying this. I had the same problem with it going off when the sun set. I kept pulling my fuse. Well took it to a garage and they replaced my clock spring in the steering heel under the air bag. $500 later they didn't fix it! it was fine when I picked it up form the shop til I got it home and the sun went down. Took it back and they spent two weeks doing nothing. Still not returning my money for the part they didn't need to replace. VA won't give me a state inspect sticker til I get it fixed. Can't afford to throw another $500 away. Bottom line you're awesome KarenV6 I thought I'd never find a fix.

Last edited by NoBeezo; 06-07-2018 at 08:12 PM. Reason: misspellings
Old 08-16-2016, 08:46 AM

I had this exact issue on my 2003 Limited. It happened on Christmas morning in the very early AM. I thought it was my alarm at first so attempted to disarm. Trying to find a wrench to disconnect the battery in the 20 degree weather in pajamas and socks was not my idea of a very good Christmas morning. None the less, I did it and started searching for a fix. When I ran across this, I couldn't believe how great these instructions were. I followed them to a tee and had exactly the same results. My next state inspection, the mechanic even commented on what a clean and factory looking solution it was.

Thank you for your post.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by KarenV6
...I've had to replace O2 sensors nearly every other year, and wasn't about to start doing the same with airbags ...
Thank you for the good write up on relocating the horn switch. This is off topic, but I'm much more interested in the fact that you are having to deal with replacing O2 sensors every other year... I'm puzzled. I have a 2001 Montero Limited with nearly 200k miles. I've replaces O2 sensors only once after 100k. Knowing what I know now about how O2 sensors function, I think i should have left them as is. Especially since they were not malfunctioning and it was a "suggested" maintenance. So can you please enlighten us as to what is going on with your O2 sensors? If you don't want to deal with this on this thread, feel free to PM me. I'm just curious.

Quick Reply: The horn wouldn't stop on 2003 Montero Limited & How I fixed it