Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

The horn wouldn't stop on 2003 Montero Limited & How I fixed it

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 07:31 PM

I think KarenV6 is not a montero owner anymore.
Originally Posted by KarenV6
(sorry we sold this car a few years ago but wish you luck)

Old 08-22-2016, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Deanoz11
I had this exact issue on my 2003 Limited. It happened on Christmas morning in the very early AM. I thought it was my alarm at first so attempted to disarm. Trying to find a wrench to disconnect the battery in the 20 degree weather in pajamas and socks was not my idea of a very good Christmas morning. None the less, I did it and started searching for a fix. When I ran across this, I couldn't believe how great these instructions were. I followed them to a tee and had exactly the same results. My next state inspection, the mechanic even commented on what a clean and factory looking solution it was.

Thank you for your post.

So glad this is still helping folks! I really hated how there wasn't an easy step by step process and I was determined to document it for the masses . I no longer own a Montero but still do get notified on posts in case of questions

Old 08-22-2016, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by maco35
I think KarenV6 is not a montero owner anymore.
Yep we did sell it a few years back, not sure why the sensors were having issues

Old 07-13-2017, 04:59 PM
Default 2003 Montero Limited Horn Bypass

Hi Karen, I followed your instructions word for word and the replacement button I installed for the horn doesn't work. Any ideas would be welcome at this point.

Old 07-14-2017, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by emoblia
Hi Karen, I followed your instructions word for word and the replacement button I installed for the horn doesn't work. Any ideas would be welcome at this point.
if I were you I would check the tap and the ground. It's likely one of those two points that is not connected well. Or you may have even tapped into the incorrect wire. As you can see from the photos it's all pretty basic wiring just a momentary connection fires the horn. If all well there check the button? Maybe a bad piece of hardware. Good luck!

Old 01-07-2018, 08:29 AM

Well it appears my 2002 Montero Sport now has this issue. It has about 179k on it.

Extreme cold here yet again been ongoing for more than a week (3-4F last night). Woke up this morning and horn is blaring. Pushing on steering wheel and no change. Disconnected the battery to stop it and here I am.

I want to pull a fuse or relay and deal with this later in the spring when conditions are more favorable. Anyone with details on this?

This link below shows how to modify the horn switch but i am leary of working around the airbag.
https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...ero-ltd-28034/

Old 01-10-2018, 05:34 AM

As a follow up, reconnected the battery after several hours and horn did not blare. So I left it alone.

Temperatures are now up as arctic blast has subsided.

Crossing fingers this problem goes away until the next 3-4F prolonged temperature event.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by larry4406
Well it appears my 2002 Montero Sport now has this issue. It has about 179k on it.

Extreme cold here yet again been ongoing for more than a week (3-4F last night). Woke up this morning and horn is blaring. Pushing on steering wheel and no change. Disconnected the battery to stop it and here I am.

I want to pull a fuse or relay and deal with this later in the spring when conditions are more favorable. Anyone with details on this?

This link below shows how to modify the horn switch but i am leary of working around the airbag.
https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...ero-ltd-28034/
I like this repair method better than wiring a separate button for a horn. In an emergency it is hard to be "fishing" for a button on the side of the dash... Thank you for locating and linking this post.
As far as working around the airbag - one of the most important thins is to disconnect the battery before you begin. After that stick with good working habits and don't do anything stupid with it.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:18 AM

I also found this link as well with very good pictures and write up on how to repair.

How To fix Pajero/Shogun/Montero Stuck horn problem ? Step by Step guide | Pajero.guru

Currently crossing fingers and hope that now that extreme cold has gone away, that the problem will not recur.

I'm also not a fan of the bypass repair with separate dash switch but certainly understand its simplicity.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:16 PM

Seems like this is a common problem.

It was my turn on mine around 165K miles. 02 Montero Limited. Some guy cut me off so instantly smashed the horn button and it wouldnt stop.

Now I've had this happen before but I could manipulate it and shut it off after pressing it more several times

This time it just wouldnt stop. So embarassing as I had to drive through a neighborhood.

I just pulled the fuse. This fuse just disables the horn. The horn still sounds when arming the factory alarm unless its a different horn then forget the correlation.

Just too lazy to fix at this point. Now I just have to buy one of those disposable air horns to use in case and keep it in the vehicle.

Quick Reply: The horn wouldn't stop on 2003 Montero Limited & How I fixed it