Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

How to fix clutch

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2022, 04:28 PM
Default How to fix clutch

Ok let me start off by saying I had a family friend replace my 99 Montero Sport ES' clutch and they didn't use the clutch alignment tool. It makes this metal plate on metal plate scraping sound and when my girlfriend took it to get looked at for an alignment the guy who was helping her said it was more than likely the slave cylinder. Supposedly the dude worked on clutches in the past and that was his best guess, I'm wondering if it's the slave cylinder not disengaging properly and how to fix it properly without having to drop the transmission If possible cause I don't have a transmission jack thing. Bare in mind I'm not very educated about mechanical stuff like I didn't know my truck had a drive shaft, I never had anyone to go over this kind of stuff with me and I don't know what over half the stuff is under my truck. So laymen's terms would be the most beneficial and if possible provide photos of the part you're talking about so I can get a visual idea on what it is, it'll save us all a very big headache. Please and thank you.

Old 03-13-2022, 10:04 AM

Clutch alignment tool is needed when installing new clutch disk. It holds the disk in place while you bolt on the piece that will pin It in place. Not using it during install could make your life more difficult diring assembly, but not likely result in metal noise.
Does the noise happens when you press the clutch or when it is released? Do you have difficulty shifting into gears?
If noise only present when clutch is pressed. It's likely that a throwout bearing is going out or has gone out.
If all the time, could be many things, including broken springs on clutch plate that now rattle around there.
There is no way to be more specific until you drop transmission. If you don't have tools or experience, but want to DIY this, you need to find a friend who has done something like it to tag team on this project. It is doable, but helps to have experience.

Old 03-15-2022, 04:58 PM
Default Reply,

Originally Posted by HunterD
Clutch alignment tool is needed when installing new clutch disk. It holds the disk in place while you bolt on the piece that will pin It in place. Not using it during install could make your life more difficult diring assembly, but not likely result in metal noise.
Does the noise happens when you press the clutch or when it is released? Do you have difficulty shifting into gears?
If noise only present when clutch is pressed. It's likely that a throwout bearing is going out or has gone out.
If all the time, could be many things, including broken springs on clutch plate that now rattle around there.
There is no way to be more specific until you drop transmission. If you don't have tools or experience, but want to DIY this, you need to find a friend who has done something like it to tag team on this project. It is doable, but helps to have experience.
The metal plate sounds only happen when driving in forward gears at about 2,200- 2,500 RPMS, and every so often it feels like I slipped out of gear when I didn't it also feels kinda loose and every blue moon I'll have trouble throwing it in one of the gears (which one varys), but it didn't happen until I had my friend replace the one that's in now. Do you happen to know what the issue is that's making it happen? Also, do you know exactly how a clutch alignment tool works? Cause I can have my buddy who did it the first time help me drop the tranny and what not and just make sure the clutch alignment tool is used before putting on the part that's suppose to be what holds it in place. Lastly do I need to replace the clutch again like buy a whole new kit and replace it or is the one I have still good to use?

Last edited by PatrickJ; 03-15-2022 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-16-2022, 09:53 AM
jc@

Did you or your friend "replace" the throw out bearing? Just curious.

Old 03-16-2022, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by jc@
Did you or your friend "replace" the throw out bearing? Just curious.
If one comes with the clutch kit then yes. If not then no, why would that be what's going out? I know the clutch wasn't aligned properly but I don't know what the throw out bearing actually is so.

Old 03-16-2022, 10:38 PM
jc@

What makes you feel the clutch wasn't aligned properly? Generally, if the transmission housing snugs up nicely to the engine block the critical alignment(s) have been achieved. Most kits come with the alignment tool that holds the clutch plate in alignment until the pressure plate is installed onto the flywheel. Once all the pressure plate's bolts are installed and torqued properly the alignment tool is removed. (It has served its purpose.) At this point, the throw out bearing is placed on the clutch fork and the transmission is moved into place. The transmission's "bell" housing mates to the engine block. In order for the housing to fit snugly against the engine, the splines on transmission's input shaft must be installed where the temporary tool had been. (Now removed.). It's purpose is to "pre-align" the clutch splines which insures the splines on the input shaft easily slide into place as well as the forward most part of the input shaft that slips into the pilot bearing waiting in the crankshaft.
So...If there was a kit, the (pre) alignment tool was used and a new throw out bearing installed.

Sorry! Just reread your post and you said very clearly that the alignment tool was NOT used. That said, I've done it (40 yrs ago) but it's a royal pain but in the end you have to achieve basic alignment for everything to install, align, flush and bolt together nicely.

Last edited by jc@; 03-18-2022 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-17-2022, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by jc@
What makes you feel the clutch wasn't aligned properly? Generally, if the transmission housing snugs up nicely to the engine block the critical alignment(s) have been achieved. Most kits come with the alignment tool that holds the clutch plate in alignment until the clutch assembly is installed onto the flywheel. Once all the clutch assembly bolts are installed and torqued properly the alignment tool is removed. (It has served its purpose.) At this point, the throw out bearing is placed on the clutch arm and the transmission is moved into place. The transmission's "bell" housing mates to the engine block. In order for the housing to fit snugly against the engine the transmission shaft's splines must be installed where the temporary tool had been. (Now removed.). It's purpose is to "pre-align" the shaft and clutch insuring the splines on the shaft easily slide into place as well as the forward most part of the shaft that slips into a bearing waiting in the flywheel.
So...If there was a kit, the pre-alignment tool was used and a new throw out bearing installed.

Sorry! Just reread your post and you said very clearly that the alignment tool was NOT used. That said, I've done it (40 yrs ago) but it's a royal pain but in the end you have to achieve basic alignment for everything to install, align, flush and bolt together nicely.
Ok so I replaced the throw out bearing then? And yeah my friend didn't use the alignment tool so would I be able to realign it properly cause I still have the alignment tool or am I burnt and need to get a whole new kit? Cause I don't have the slightest clue as to what the hell the scraping metal sounds are but I do know its something with the clutch cause my truck wasn't doing that prior to replacing the clutch entirely.

Old 03-18-2022, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by PatrickJ
The metal plate sounds only happen when driving in forward gears at about 2,200- 2,500 RPMS, and every so often it feels like I slipped out of gear when I didn't it also feels kinda loose and every blue moon I'll have trouble throwing it in one of the gears (which one varys), but it didn't happen until I had my friend replace the one that's in now. Do you happen to know what the issue is that's making it happen? Also, do you know exactly how a clutch alignment tool works? Cause I can have my buddy who did it the first time help me drop the tranny and what not and just make sure the clutch alignment tool is used before putting on the part that's suppose to be what holds it in place. Lastly do I need to replace the clutch again like buy a whole new kit and replace it or is the one I have still good to use?
"Update" so clutch wouldn't engage in reverse or first, or second third was okish and fourth and fifth was a struggle, it was last night at about 50-48 some odd degrees, and she was still cold. I know there's probably an issue with the gearbox that I need to address sooner rather than later, just wanted to verify that it wasn't due to the clutch not being aligned properly cause I'm worried about driving from my dad's house helping him move out and my clutch just straight dropping like a sack of bricks on the freeway. Any tips or suggestions would be the best thing for this uneducated millennial. I'm not mechanically inclined to fix a loose screw in a door hinge so I appreciate any and all help and suggestions that can be given.

Old 03-18-2022, 11:35 AM
jc@

HunterD pretty much nailed it. You need someone to put eyes on the work.
You may find this interesting. Pretty good overview of replacing a clutch.

Good Luck!
jc

Last edited by jc@; 03-18-2022 at 01:18 PM.