Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Keep or ditch?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 07:12 PM
Default Keep or ditch?

A recommended garage mechanic has told me that my 2000 Montero Sport (c. 125,000 miles) has an issue with 'something-or-other' which means that it will cost _at least_ $1,000 plus to repair. That's best case scenario. Worst case: whole new engine.

My question: should I keep or ditch. He tells me, and I have heard elsewhere, that Montero Sports are great up to a certain mileage and then lots of things start to go wrong. As you can tell I know next to nothing about cars so I have no interest in having a fixer-upper. On the other hand, replacing what has been a very good car with no problems for the last ten years will mean a significant financial outlay. Certainly more than $1,000 plus. More like 8-10,000.

It comes down to whether it is predictable that Montero Sports at a certain mileage begin to go what is technically known as 'pear-shaped.'

Thanks for any thoughts you experts have.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:32 PM

Anyone got any thoughts?

Old 02-19-2011, 06:56 PM

Hi m0,

From my own experience, owning and driving cars of all manner and ages, I would have to validate this opinion, but should add that I find this to be the case for not just the Montero Sport, but for all Japanese cars in general when compared to American or European. American and Euros have a tendency to fail progressively over time, e.g. the door locks open slower and slower until one day they just stop working, as opposed to Japanese cars where they work to within 2-4% of their original factory condition and then suddenly kaput.

That being said, 125K miles seems a bit low. If you have kept up the maintainence, and done certain extras, like replace the waterpump, tensioner, pulley and cam/crank seals when you changed the timing belt, etc. I see no reason why she shouldn't go longer.

Then again, you can pick up one of these used for less than $6,000 these days, parts are little dearer and because they aren't as ubiquitous as hondas or toyotas it isn't as easy to find a good mechanic that know these cars...

End of day, I say go with your gut on this one.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:37 AM

issue with something or other????? what exactly is that??? i have worked on more montero sports that i can count. when properly taken car of are VERY DEPENDABLE. leaking oil seals and valve cover gaskets is the most common things i see. timming belt has to be done every 60k. mabey you need to get a second opinion. or find out exactly whats going on. smells a little fishy.