Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Manual Transmission Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 01:54 AM
Default Manual Transmission Fluid Change

Greetings,

I haven't seen this question addressed on this excellent forum, so here it goes.

I have a 1998 Montero Sport, manual tranmission, with 114K miles. I need to change the transmission fluid (purchased in 2000 with 24K and never done...I know, I'm bad!), but I don't know if I need to simply drain the fluid and replace, or have it flushed.

My confusion comes in because every mechanic I speak to, including my Mitsu mechanic, tells me that it is a simple drain and fill. Estimates for the work have come back at around $100 from the Mistu mechanic, and two local mechanics here in my small town. The question is, can/should a manual tranmission be flushed, esp. since there is at least 90K miles on the transmission fluid in the tranny now?

I also can't find the transmission dipstick or the drain plug, but that is for another time.

I am not having any tranny problems, just feeling guilty about the abuse I must be putting my transmission through w/o a change.

Thanks,
flyhotair

Old 07-19-2009, 10:36 PM
Default There is no dipstick...dipstick!

Okay, I guess manual transmission Monteros (and most others for that matter) don't have transmission fluid dipsticks. This weekend project was a simply drain and fill, as there is really nothing to flush. Adding new tranny fluid in the upper hole was the only real challenge, but was done without too many problems.

Sorry for the stupid question, but it didn't seem so obvious 24 hours ago!

flyhotair

Old 07-20-2009, 04:28 AM

Welcome to the boards! The manual transmissions do not come with a dipstick. Your best bet is to drain and refill them every 25,000 miles, if you're using a conventional lubricant. If you're using synthetic, that can be extended. I beleive the recommended gear oil is a GL-4 75W-90/80W-90/SAE 90 depending on how hot/cold it gets.

If you're concerned about cleaning out the internals, your best bet is Auto-Rx before you are due for your next drain interval. Hope this helps.