Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Montero Misfire Cylinder 6

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 11:41 AM
Default RE: Montero Misfire Cylinder 6

Don,

One common problem in earlier montero's is that have idle problems is the Idle Speed Controller (ISC) which on the earlier models is located at the 4:00 oclock position as you look at the round intake opening where the intake hose goes into the intake manifold. Not sure about your model year montero however so you'll want to check it via the Factory Service Manual if you have one.

The ISC needs to be cleaned occassionally of the dust/dirt/grime that can accumulate on it. Simple removal and wiping off using a rag accomplishes this. If you don't it, then it has to work harder and eventually fails sooner that it would otherwise. If it fails, it can even take out your ECU so make sure it's working properly.

HTH.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:32 AM

Hi Off-Roader. Well we have a misfire code(cylinder 6)being stored. That is why the idle quality is poor. I've cleaned the ICV(or ISC) twice since I've owned this thing. Apparently, the misfire clears somewhat uponan increase is vehicle rpm. I can definitely say the thing runs DAMN fine onceabove 2k rpm or so. It just really show's it'sugly face right at idle or slightly higher.

On a side note, I now have the dreaded "front wheels blinking" on my dash indicator. I can't remember the last time I've had so much grief with a vehicle[:'(]. I don't think the front axle isengagedhowever since it doesn't feelor drive any differently....but I'll be checking that out soon as well.

Don
(singing the Montero blues)

Old 06-11-2007, 09:02 AM

Well I had a little time Sunday morning and fixed the 4wd light blinking problem. Seems I knocked a vacuum hose off. The one on the firewall directly behind the TB. Of course I started at the axle/transfer case and worked my way up so it took me about an hour to find it!!

This thursday will be my next opportunity to fix the miss.

Don

Old 08-08-2007, 06:41 PM

Well, believe it or not the Montero is FINALLY fixed and running great. I don't know how I screwed this up this bad(well actually I do)but it was a bad injector causing the misfire. The leakdown test definitely showed the valves were leaking so the heads needed to be done. This was found via an O-Scope which I didn't have. But I swapped injectors. I must have screwed up somehow when I did it. I remember taking ONLY bank2 injectors out(2,4,6)and swapping them after I ultrasonically cleaned them. I MUST have put the same injector back in #6 that was in before. Don't know how that happened but obviously, I messed up.

I also screwed up by getting into another project and not staying with this one(started road racing one of my BMW M3's). I'm afraid I have to take the blame for this one...not the Montero[:@]. Injectors go bad and are easy to check...I just messed up with my diagnosis.

Just wanted to post this in case someone ever has the same problem they can reference this and at least see what was wrong in this particular incident. Valves were leaking and vehicle had one bad injector.

Don