Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Montero vs. discovery 1 advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 01:06 AM
Default Montero vs. discovery 1 advice

It has been going through my head for quiet a while now so i thought of asking here instead. Whats the smarter choice? A 99 montero wagon v6 or a 1998 disco 1 v8?
I am aware of all the disco problems due to bad maintaince and so on, but i dont know much about the montero. i had mitsubishis before and the bog minus was, spare parts where expensive plus insurrance.
The car is supposed to be a family car for me but i still will take it to work every day. about 10 miles. Offroading? nothing hardcore buti do occasionally go to austria and there normally is a whole lot of snow during the winter so it would be good to have something decent.
Would be nice if people who had both cars could write a bit about them, pros and cons and so on.
I would only buy full maintained vehicles.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:41 AM
Default RE: Montero vs. discovery 1 advice

I had a friend with the LR discovery. It was a POS. budget more money for repairs as they come up with the Discovery. Plus, gas mileage may be less with the LR... But if you enjoy working on cars, the difference in $$ repairs may not be as great.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:06 PM

Two data points................

My wife just bought a used ('03) Disco II - mostly against my advice and even against the advice of a LR service manager - not just our Disco, he advised not buying any Disco. But it's beautiful, luxurious and quirky - all things she loves. So we are keeping our fingers crossed. At 35K mi, it has engine oil leaks - we were told not to try to fix because "they all do that". Also told by more than one ownerwe can expect head gasket failure at around 60K. All of the Disco's we drove - except this one thankfully - had an annoying whine in the cabin from the transfer case. LR dealers struggle with this and the factory position is it's "normal" thus no warranty coverage. google: Discovery transfer whine.

On the other hand, I have owned a '99 Montero (full size) for 7 years and have 154K miles on it. Except for shocks, one timing belt, plugs a fan belt idler pulley and one catalytic converter, it's never been down a day. Oh, I also replaced$4.00 worth of o-rings in the rear cam plugs - (quite common)The cost of reparis is the lowest I've ever experienced. It's as tight and rattle free as the much younger Disco and has much less body roll.

Again, these are just two data points. There are many detractors of Montero's with horror stories and many happy Disco owners. If you can do your own mechanical repairs then it's probably a matter of which you like better. But I still think the Montero is a blast to drive even after all the years and miles.

Ron

Old 02-27-2008, 11:51 PM

As a Montero Sport owner, and someone that has offroaded with it and in most cases, been with a 04 LR Disco II, I would have to say the Disco is better due to the traction control, and the bigger engine will give you more towing power. My 04 Monty has the full time AWD like the disco, but no traction control. We both have a CDL as well. In the long run, you must ask yourself, "what will I what to do with this vehicle in my wildest dreams?" When you know the answer than you can find what will be right for you. You said you were looking at a general use vehicle, with the possiblity of going offroad, and the occational snow (and I would assume ice) in your day to day driving throughout the year, I would suggest looking at more than just LR or Mistubishi. Toyota has a good reputation, so does Jeep. In the end, you need to make the call. Gas Milage will suck on any SUV really....

As for the Disco, I would suggest if still looking at a LR, look for the Disco 3 aka the LR3. You could get a better opinion on a LR at muddyoval.com. It's aLand Rover website thathas posting by the average daily driver likeyourself. Not many dealersthere trying to get a buck, just average "Joe's".