Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

MS rear hatch door stress fractures

Old 07-23-2012, 06:52 PM
Default MS rear hatch door stress fractures

I was trying again to reduce the rattles in my back door caused from the daily drive which starts and ends with 6 mile drive on my washboard-rocky road.
Yes i drive slow,but it doesnt help. Actually fast SEEMS to be better,but its too fast for the road
RE:2001 MSport
Upon re adjusting the rear door's two rubber screw adjustor cushions, I noticed 1 or 2 stress cracks radiating from where those door cushions on both sides screw in/out.

I 'm not crazy about having it mig/tig'd due to the mess and repaint required.
Even then,the doors original metal would eventually re-fracture around the stronger weld.
One could weld in a thicker metal backing. ....but what a mess and repaint.

Has anyone dealt with this before?
Any ideas?
Hmmm a body shop should know.
A dealer wiould just replace the whole door I think.

Last edited by PalmSprings; 07-23-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:52 PM
Default I appear to have a problem that no one else has had..?

I guess I must be the only one that lives on a rough , rocky road 2.5 miles in length. That may not seem like much but it translates to : Of my 180k miles, 6600 is on a rough dirt/rock road doing 5 to 10 mph .The rock isnt loose,its all buried in the road and un movable mountain terrain base type rock. A corvette can drive slowly on it negotiating low and high spots easy enough. Cars drive on it easy enough due to the soft suspensions,but the montero sport since new just rides too stiff which translates into a "shaken montero sport syndrome" of sorts. I started this baby on this road since it was new and at about 180K I havent found anything rattled loose except for the hatch door rattles. The only thing I find wrong are the small radiating fracture areas on the door around the L&R screw in/out adjustment bumpers.

A body shop told me he thought by replacing the rubber weather stripping that seals the door from air infiltration,that that would stop the rattle. i guess screwing the bumper stops out just increased the pressure against that area causing them to crack.
the rubber actually looks fine,but looks can be deceiving? I think its $100 for the weatherstripping and thats really the only option I seem to have left.
So..once again,Has anyone ever had this issue before...and corrected it?

Originally Posted by PalmSprings
I was trying again to reduce the rattles in my back door caused from the daily drive which starts and ends with 6 mile drive on my washboard-rocky road.
Yes i drive slow,but it doesnt help. Actually fast SEEMS to be better,but its too fast for the road
RE:2001 MSport
Upon re adjusting the rear door's two rubber screw adjustor cushions, I noticed 1 or 2 stress cracks radiating from where those door cushions on both sides screw in/out.

I 'm not crazy about having it mig/tig'd due to the mess and repaint required.
Even then,the doors original metal would eventually re-fracture around the stronger weld.
One could weld in a thicker metal backing. ....but what a mess and repaint.

Has anyone dealt with this before?
Any ideas?
Hmmm a body shop should know.
A dealer wiould just replace the whole door I think.

Last edited by PalmSprings; 10-24-2012 at 02:01 PM.