Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

My new project

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 10:02 PM
Default My new project

I've inherited a new project- a 2000 Montero Sport LS 4WD. It belongs to this girl I've been dating for a few months. I really dig her, so much that I've involved myself in fixing up her ride. I recently learned that she's been giving considerable chunks of money to this crackpot mechanic at the small used car lot from where she bought this car. Everything was verbal and it appears that he hasn't done much of anything that she told me he did. Most of it is small things, but I'm hoping he actually did replace all the spark plugs. The intake manifold bolts all look to have been messed with fairly recently. The red flags for me are the filthy air filter and seemingly original fuel filter, both of which she paid him to replace during his $500 tune-up. I'm new to Mitsubishis, but not to cars in general. I spent a few hours inspecting it in/out/up/down yesterday. I'll list all my findings here since they are all specific to the Montero. Let me know if I should post anything in a particular subforum elsewhere:

1) Outer tie rod ends are crusty. I know these are pretty straightforward, but is there anything specific that I should know about these on this car?

2) Needs all new brake pads, rotors look like a simple turning is all they need- Anything with the brakes I should know? I'll flush and replace all the fluid when I do the brake job.

3) Fuel filter- Any decent name brand ok?

4) Sway bar bushings- are polyurethane replacements available?

5) Single wire hanging by transfer case- has white plug, wire jacket it yellow with red stripe. The 4WD light contstantly flashes, transfer case shifter is in 2WD where it stays.

6) Rear of car squats when holding brake and shifting into reverse. It lifts when shifted into drive.

7) Is there a way to remove some of the slack in the steering system? I've noticed what appears to be an adjuster screw in the steering box.

8) Has SES light- P0400. The crackpot replaced the EGR valve, but I read that a dirty throttle body and/or failed MAP sensor can cause this code.

I'll continue to research these issues as I get better acquainted to this site.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:13 AM

go and visit this "mechanic".

with four big friends and a baseball bat.

recover the "costs"... one way and another.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:44 PM

Yea, it sounds like it really needs a good going over. Best to start with your problem list then be prepared to fix all those other things which crop up along the way. Nothing too specific about these trucks so aftermarket parts are just fine in my book. Filters, fluids, brakes and steering components all need attention.

You haven't talked about coolant which is one of the most neglected and essential fluids. Best to replace hoses and fluid after good flush.

Welcome to forum and hope you get all the issues sorted before they turn into a major problem.

jim

Old 03-28-2015, 01:52 PM

There are some crooked mechanics , but in general they are honest hard working under payed people.