Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Need General Montero Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 01:21 PM
Default Need General Montero Advice

Hello everyone. I need a Vet of the montero's world opinion. I am thinking of getting one as a DD for work and to haul kids around etc. I think they are iconic vehicles similar to Landcrusier 4 runner etc. I am thinking of getting a 01-06 model with fairly low miles like 115k or less. Here is what I want to know. How reliable are they? What are the main issues they have or what common problems do they have? Are they relatively reasonable to fix? Are they safe? Just general thoughts about the car. I think they have a timeless look and from what I read are pretty good off road as well. I would love to hear thoughts and opinions on what year is better than others or any other info I should know a out the vehicle. Thanks for your input.

Old 01-07-2017, 02:10 PM

Welcome to the forum. I own a '01 Montero (full size). I had it since brand new and there is not enough praises that I can say to this vehicle. It has been absolutely the most dependable vehicle I've ever owned. It has over 200k miles now and its still on the original engine and transmission. I had to do some repairs (alternator, 4WD solenoid, front wheel bearings, etc.) but besides that its basic maintenance. In the time I owned this truck, many of my friends have swapped 2 or 3 vehicles due to them braking down completely or becoming unreliable. I jokingly call my Monty a Tank. They are tough and built to last. I would not hesitate at all to get another one of the '01-'06 vintage.
On a used truck with with 100+k miles you can expect to have intermittent issues with the 4WD selector system (orange flashing CD light). This is most likely due to one of the sensors on the transfer case failing. Another common thing is a P0421 type of error (low catalytic converter efficiency). This can be fixed with new Y-pipe with catalytic converter. Often people report various codes indicating Lean Condition, but its often a vacuum leak, or similar issue. There are other things that creep up, but it is usually emissions related sensor issues and not major mechanical failures.
Original OEM parts are somewhat costly, but they do last forever. Do not go into repairs with the approach of blindly swapping parts until you fix the issue. That will break the bank fast. Diagnose the problem and you'll find out that you only have to replace one little thing and that will save you bunch of $$.

Look for a clean truck from someone who had taken good care of it and you will be in good shape for many years to come.

Old 01-07-2017, 02:24 PM

Thank you for your insight sir! I know you said it's like a tank so I take it's a pretty safe ride (thinking about the kids). Also I'm assuming it's a beast off-road?

Old 01-07-2017, 03:17 PM

I should clarify - its a very civilized tank
It looks great. Handles better than any other SUV of its size. Ride is exceptionally comfortable. And Yes - its a total beast off-road. We take ours out to the mountains on regular basis. Only once I had to be helped to get through the nasty mud puddle. That was when I went 4wheeling with a group of super tricked out off-roaders (I had regular hwy tires on it that were 75% worn out).