Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Need pic of 01 Montero LTD under hood

Old 01-13-2014, 08:25 PM
Default Need pic of 01 Montero LTD under hood

or pic of intake plenum or shop manual diagram or something.

Near the end of October, I had taken my 01 Montero LTD to a shop because I couldn't figure out why truck was overheating and losing coolant. I'd have to fill the reservoir every day. Then for some reason, the reservoir was staying full. Still overheating and losing coolant, but now the radiator would be low while the reservoir stayed full.

Anyways, the shop hit me with a timing belt, water pump, coolant flush, fan clutch, and idler pulley bearing. $1600!

When I got my truck back, it squealed, clunked, and clicked in the dashboard, was still overheating, making gurgling sounds, wouldn't idle right in drive, and the induction tube for the air filter, the intake plenum, and other plastic beauty pieces were missing. The reservoir was empty, an engine hoist bracket was sitting, along with its bolt, on the top of the engine, and oil was dripping from the skid-plate.

My truck has been back there five or four times on re-do and everytime I get it back, there's something else wrong with it. OK, they did fix the squealing by replacing the other belt tensioner pulley ($200 which they ate); the clunking, by removing the prybar that was left by the firewall; the clicking, by removing another tool left in the dash; fixed the gurgling, by bleeding the air from the cooling system and drilling two holes in the thermostat. But now I don't have any heat in the cab. Well, the drivers side puts out a little heat, a little less in the middle and none on the passenger side. Go figure. It blows air, but no heat.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:09 PM

Wow! I'm very sorry to hear about the issues you are having with your mechanic.
Here is a link to the FSM for the Gen. III Monteros with a 3.5L.

http://www.pajero4x4.ru/piii/

If I was in your shoes, that mechanic would not get another crack at the Monty.
Cut your loses, and take it to the dealer (or reliable mechanic) for a thorough run through.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:03 PM

Nobody has a stock '01 or '02 full-size Montero that you can just pop open the hood and take a pic for me?

Old 05-28-2014, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by one iota
Nobody has a stock '01 or '02 full-size Montero that you can just pop open the hood and take a pic for me?
Here are a couple of snap shots...

Attached Thumbnails Need pic of 01 Montero LTD under hood-p5280137_2.jpg   Need pic of 01 Montero LTD under hood-p5280138_2.jpg  
Old 06-06-2014, 08:41 PM

Hey Mr Z. Thanks.
Looks like your truck is missing the pieces that were removed from my truck and promptly lost.
Thanks also for the link to the FSM.