Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

NEW Gen 2.5 OWNER - - I think I got a GOOD DEAL - - A Few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 05:41 PM
Default NEW Gen 2.5 OWNER - - I think I got a GOOD DEAL - - A Few Questions

Hey there!

About a year I started researching expedition-type vehicles and kept getting the answer that the Montero was the way to go. I looked for several months for a mid-90s SR or Gen 2.5 with the winter package with no luck and finally got impatient and bought a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I put brand new tires on it a nice lift and never drove it. I just never liked it and the Monteros continued to eat at the back of my brain.

So a couple days ago I sold my 1927 Nash hot rod and thought I'd take a peek on Craigslist for Monteros even though I still have the Jeep, much to my wife's dismay. Right away I found this 1999 with the winter package. I was excited, but my wife wasn't. I told her I wanted to check out the Montero and she just rolled her eyes, but did go with me, as did my 7-year-old daughter.

The guy was asking $3500. It has 186,000 miles, but has recently had the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, drive belts and pulleys replaced. Also new plugs and wires along with KYB shocks, tie rod and idler arm bushings. It even has brand new tires and wheels. There are no leaks at all and the AC blows cold. The interior shows regular if not less-that-regular wear, but really only on the drivers seat and door panel. The passenger window sticks and the sun roof is SLOW. All in all I think I got a good deal, especially since I ended up getting it for only $3000.

I have a few questions. It has the flashing green wheel/light issue. Am I correct that that is usually just the sensor? It idles real low, around 300rpm. Where would you suggest I start to solve that? How much trouble is the sunroof motor to change? Is it worth doing?

I don't plan on cranking the bars any more as I think it sits good like it is, but I do want to paint the lower panels and wheels black to change it from soccer mom to a little more utilitarian. I want to add a roof rack, since the two dogs will get the way-back area, and a couple lights.

Also, there seems to be fewer aftermarket accessories available for the '99s. Is that true or am I not looking in the right places? I did get the stock alloy wheels and the removed running boards and mud guards, are they worth trying to sell?

Any other input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Here are a couple pics and a mockup of what I want it to look like.

Thanks for any help!!!

Last edited by KIRK!; 07-18-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:41 AM

Nice looking Montero - same year and color as my old one.

I'm sure you've tried spray grease on the sunroof - mine needed that from time to time. Never had a motor problem in 225K+ miles.

For low idle - use the search function in this forum and look for any mix of terms like: IAC, Idle Air Controller, Throttle body cleaning, etc. Gunk in the IAC and TB seems to be a common idle issue.

Something's a bit different about your truck. Unless you photoshopped the front turn signals and the fender mounted amber marking lights, they don't match the US spec trucks. (See photos) Maybe the PO went shopping for non-US lighting bits?

Ron

Attached Thumbnails NEW Gen 2.5 OWNER - - I think I got a GOOD DEAL - - A Few Questions-montero-front.jpg   NEW Gen 2.5 OWNER - - I think I got a GOOD DEAL - - A Few Questions-montero-side.jpg  
Old 07-19-2012, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by jrmdir
Nice looking Montero - same year and color as my old one.

I'm sure you've tried spray grease on the sunroof - mine needed that from time to time. Never had a motor problem in 225K+ miles.

For low idle - use the search function in this forum and look for any mix of terms like: IAC, Idle Air Controller, Throttle body cleaning, etc. Gunk in the IAC and TB seems to be a common idle issue.

Something's a bit different about your truck. Unless you photoshopped the front turn signals and the fender mounted amber marking lights, they don't match the US spec trucks. (See photos) Maybe the PO went shopping for non-US lighting bits?

Ron
Yeah, the PO mentioned that the light changes were Euro or Asia pieces.