Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

New Member, Lurching Problem

Old 12-29-2013, 04:48 PM
Question New Member, Lurching Problem

I recently purchased a 2001 Montero Sport Limited (automatic trans., 3.5L engine, 70K miles). Recently, it has been acting odd. When I start the car for the first time in the morning, it will "lurch" into gear. Here is a detailed explanation of the scenario. I will get into the car after it cooling all the way down overnight, and then start the car. I wait for the car's RPM's in park to drop below 1K. Then, I will put the car into gear. When I do this, the RPM's will jump up. I keep my foot on the brake, and then the car will suddenly lurch forward 2-3 seconds later. I believe the lurching is the transmission engaging. After noticing this problem for the first time, I have begun to place the car in neutral as soon as the RPM's jump up. If I shift back from neutral to drive, sometimes the car will drive fine. I should explain that this problem ONLY happens when the car is cold. I have never had an issue once the car is warmed up.

I would appreciate any help or advice any of you members have. I'm in a real quandary.

-Thanks

Old 12-29-2013, 07:26 PM

Have you scanned for any codes? Are the moter mounts good?