3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

Help..New Member with AC Compressor Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 10:33 PM
Default Help..New Member with AC Compressor Problem

Hey Guys,
I'm new hear and run across this site looking for some help with my AC problems and it looks like a great site for info on fixing up my 03 eclipse for my soon to be 16 year old son.

Here is my problem. Last week my ac compressor locked up completely all of a sudden and broke the belt driving it. It had been making no weird sounds or anything and the AC worked perfect. I found a used AC compressor that was suppose to be in perfect working condition from a low mileage wreck and put it on, charged it up and it worked perfect and made it about 45 miles. I shut the car off, let it sit for a few hours and when I restarted it the power steering was out and it had thrown the new belt off the pulley's. I started looking around for the reason it threw the belt and when I tried to spin the compressor it was hard to turn and its bearings were also about out.

Today I spent about $700 bucks on a newly re-manufactured compressor, and all 3 of the belts since none had been changed. Everything else is fine with the car and I can see no other issue's visually that are causing compressor's to suddenly start locking up. Its melting the 3 rubber things off the end of the pulley on both compressors its getting them so hot.

What do I need to do this time around to make sure I don't fry this new one? I can't get two same answers in a row around here. I've been told I also need to change out everything from the AC dryer to everything. Condensor, hoses, dryer, all of it. Also just been told I need to clean the system. Could someone that knows their way around Eclipse AC's please tell me what I need to do and if its cleaning out the rest the system, how do I do it, or can I do it? I just don't want all this money and time to be wasted again over another mistake or something I'm missing. Also, does anyone know how much oil needs to go in the new compressor, the box says oil has to be added cause its sent dry.

Any and all help very much appreciated.
Thanks