Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

New Member, need help sorting out problem!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 12:55 PM
Default New Member, need help sorting out problem!!

Hello folks, I have a 97 Montero SR with the 3.5 engine. A couple weeks ago I went out for lunch, started the engine and it ran normally for about 20 seconds then cut off abruptly and has failed to start since. I initially checked the fuel pump and it seemed to be dead, so I replaced it. No change... I then did some researched and after checking ignition and finding no spark suspected it may be the Crank Sensor but, after some initial tests there seems to be no 12V power to the sensor at the harness plug. I don't want to start swapping parts as that can get expensive, I did jump the OBDII plug and got a code 11, one long, and one short blink? Before this last issue, I was experiencing a problem with no acceleration above about 4K RPM's when i tried to kick down into passing gear for instance. Could these two issues be related? I am a decent old school mechanic, but this one with all the computer controlled interfaced systems is kicking my butt! (Ain't too proud to admit it ) Love my Montero and don't won't to get rid of her, but I need this thing fixed, I'm having to drive my Ol' Scout 800 in the meantime, and it's beating me up pretty bad1 Any help from those more familliar is greatly appreciated!