Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

new member... new to me Montero

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 10:37 AM
Default new member... new to me Montero

I know this should probably go up in introduction area but I'm just going to post here on the Montero section mostly since that's all i have.
Back in the early days of DSM's I had several turbo Talon's, 2 conquests, and my favorite original 89 mirage turbo that I eventually did a 2.0 swap.
I think in 2008 bought an 01 limited full Monty. ($2700 at a tow yard auction) drove it a few years and moved on.
fast forward 10 years I pick up another 01 limited. $1500 142k miles isn't in too bad of shape.
The lady just drove it. never replaced anything. INCLUDING THE TIMING BELT(YIKES!!!!!)
She met me half way between Houston and Dallas. I figured if she could drive it two hours I should be good to get home the rest of the way.(2 hours).

Car smoked alot...(go figure- it's a Mitsubishi)
leaked oil all over.
She had 2 quarts too much on the engine -hahaha. I think that was to make sure she didn't run out on the way to give it to me.
the oil filter was not even hand tight.(Another pucker up moment).
but over all not in bad shape.
I parked the truck and got me a parts list together. timing kit valve. cover gaskets. valve stem seals, rear came cap seals.
THANK GAWD I parked it. It was the original timing belt. It had at least an inch of play in it that i could move with one finger, plus it had jumped a tooth as well. THE TIMING BELT HAD AN ACTUAL HOLE IN IT!

all the interior was removed and cleaned top to bottom. *** I highly suggest this to anyone buying a used car. No matter how clean it looks, the carpet will tell you the truth.
I just replaced the carpet, it was easier... reinstalled the interior after a good cleaning.
new tires
timing belt was done- twice! I didn't lube up the cam seal enough so it twisted a little and leak oil from there. It was remedied with the second visit to the timing belt.
oil change - translation....very to little smoke out of the tail pipe now. even after looooong idles.
frame mount tow hitch mounted(for pulling motorcycles)

It's street able now did a quick test....
gas light had just came on. so I put 2 gallons 87 octane in and hit the highway only doing about 75-ish. netted me 16.5
when the light came back on and i put in 10 gallons for everyday driving(city). I'm currently working on this MPG measurement. It looks like I'm going to get about 15 in the city. I'll know in a couple of days.
I'll do the same test after with 93 to see if there is a difference.

to do list:
shocks all the way around.
alignment
valve cover gaskets when there I'll do plugs possibly wires.

I'll probably have 2200 in total be the time I'm done.

Old 11-11-2019, 08:54 PM

It's a beauty. Glad you got to it before timing belt could have caused more issues. Congrats.