Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

New Member about to Buy a 96 Montero - Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 10:42 AM
Default New Member about to Buy a 96 Montero - Advice?

Hello!

After reading a really great Popular Mechanics article that listed the Montero as a great weekend warrior vehicle, I'm convinced a Montero is the right vehicle for my outdoors needs.

Top 10 Weekend Wagons for $5000 on (Cheap!) Used SUV Market - Popular Mechanics

I've also been reading this great forum for a few weeks getting a sense of the reliability of the vehicle, and It's time to pull the trigger and get one.

I've been scanning Craigslist for many weeks and found a vehicle that seems to fit the bill. It's a 1996 Montero RS with 83,000 miles. I went out and drove it. Negotiated with the owner and got the price down to $2500. The bad is that she's an older woman, didn't keep any service records, and there's a red Service R/Q light on and a red SRS light on. Other than that, it drives really well, is in decent shape, and really seems to just need a tuneup and tires.

I'm having my mechanic look at the thing on Wed. Anything else with this model I should look for? I'm also looking at the older threads around this subject.

Thanks. I can't imagine life before these awesome forums. Thanks for everyone that built this one up to be so useful!

Jason

Old 06-02-2012, 09:25 AM

For what its worth.

I just bought a 2003 Montero Sport and failed to pay sufficient attention to the "lack of records" issue, so in under a week of ownership, I'm out about $2,000 just to make it reliable.

That's my fault and I accept I should have known better, but finding and buying parts for this has been expensive, but then even parts for a GM model were laughably expensive so maybe that's the way of the parts world today.

My local Mitsubishi dealer didn't inspire confidence for either service or knowledge, so I can't imagine that it will be any easier, cheaper or better for an older model.

The SRS light on suggests the AirBag system or the steering clock spring( if it has one) has issues. Getting an AirBag installed for my old Buick was $1300 and I think that's ball park for most of the industry - if you want the crash protection.

The check engine light could be anything until your mechanic gets the codes - in my case, that light and codes cost me for spark plugs, wires and an O2 sensor - just shy of a grand for parts and labor.

I'd get your mechanic to give it a real good going over before I'd part with a cent. Even in this day and age $2,500 is money.