Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

New Montero owner -- question

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 06:20 PM
Default New Montero owner -- question

Just bought a 2001 Montero Ltd. I bought the truck at an auction as an off lease vehicle and it did not have any maintenance records. It has a little over 65,000 miles. Any suggestions about what to do now as far as maintenance? I don't trust my dealer. Thanks

Old 05-26-2005, 06:32 PM
Default RE: New Montero owner -- question

You should definately try to find out if it has had it's 60,000 mile service or not. It's going to cost you around 1200-1500 to have it done by the dealer.

Old 05-26-2005, 06:43 PM

Another thought. Call your mitsubishi dealer and get a quote on the 60000 mile service. Show that to the dealer and see what you can do with the price then!

Old 05-26-2005, 06:48 PM

Sorry, yet another thought. I know that when you have a recall they can look it up by you VIN to see if hey have already fixed it. maybe they can do the same for your service records. Also there are 2 recalls that I would pay attention to: I have a 2002 limited so yours may differ, there is a bad seal on the fuel pump that leaks if it sits on too much of a decline, and the other is the ABS actuator will sound like a squirrel under the hood. It is the bulb-like object by your master cylinder.

Old 05-27-2005, 09:46 AM
pc

To add to Firedocs comments I would say that if you buy an off lease vehicle expect that NO maintenance work was done on it at all, unless the contract specifically called for it by the dealer. Users of leased vehicles have no emotional connection with their cars and are only in it for the short term. They spend as little as possible then get out of the lease. The buy back price is based on cosmetic value and miles only. A leased vehicle is usually the worst used vehicle you can buy as far as maintenance. I would suggest a complete service at what ever interval you're at and completely change all the fluids and filters.

Old 05-27-2005, 03:27 PM

I do not trust the dealers very much either. Changing all fluids is a must. If your car has platinum plugs they should be changed. If they are Iridium you can go to 100k miles. If they are platinum only use the NGK double platinum (about $12 ea). Of course change the coolant and only use distilled water to mix with the coolant. The new Prestone "All makes" is pretty good. Or I would use the ZEREX G-05 fluid. For the auto trans fluid, only use the Mitsu or Hyundai SPIII fluid. For the timing belt, if you are in a mild climate you could wait a while. If you do the timing belt I would change all other belts, radiator hoses, thermostat, Timing belt pulleys etc.