Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

no start after running

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 08:16 PM
Default no start after running

Have a 94 montero V6 5 speed. When I go to start the truck within 10-15 minutes of running it it wont start. Cold starts are fine. The truck will turn over and cranks strong but will not fire. So once I wait a little time i can go outside and start it up just fine. The truck runs fine and gets good mileage on the street. Any suggestions on where to start would be much appreciated.

Miketheidiot

Old 04-04-2007, 06:08 AM
Default RE: no start after running

Well, the first two things I would check is are yougetting fuel andare you getting spark. The next time it does this, pull the wire from the ignition coil to the distributor off at the distributor end. Using insulated pliers, hold the end near well grounded metal and have someone crank the engine. If you get a good spark (crisp and blue), then you have a good ignition coil. If the ignition coil is good, trythe sametest witha couple of the spark plug wires.

If you are getting good spark, pull a spark plug and crank the engine a few times.Smell the cylinder you pulled the plug from... if it doesn't smell of uncombusted gas then you aren't getting fuel to the engine. Start checking the fuel pump and the rest of the fuel delivery system if this is the case.

Your problemmight be heat related, especially if it is eletrical in nature, since it shows up only after the engine is warmed up. If you suspect a certain component, try to recreate the problem by heating up just that part (the ignition coil, for example) with a hair dryer and seeing if you can make the problem appear.