Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Oh boy! Did I screw up big time...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 07:08 PM
Default '98 Montero wont start. Did I screw up big time?

The Ride:
98 Montero 3.5L full size @180k

Some Background:
I've had an oil leak for a few years that eventually killed 2 alternators. I recently learned how to change it myself and gave it a shot last weekend with the aid of a shop manual and YouTube. I also changed an o-ring on the rear cam plug that I thought was the cause of the oil leak. After this repair, I am still getting a smaller oil leak (see video).

/djkobafemi?feature=guide#/watch?feature=plcp&v=bRJT0oUS-ac
The BIG problem:
I drove my Montero for a week with no obvious problems. No burning oil smell, smoke or leaking on my clean, rebuilt AutoZone alternator. This morning I went to start the car but couldn't. It looked and sounded like the engine was trying to turn over but it quit on me in a split second. I tried again and got NOTHING by turning the key... No dashboard lights, no radio power, no alarm LED flashing. What's crazy is that the power door locks work fine, and so do the headlights and interior lights...even a day later. I tried jumping the battery and that didn't help. It's obviously not a battery problem.

What did I do to my Montero? Did a fuse blow? How is it possible that I could I have caused a short a week after swapping out the alternator? Is it an alternator or a starter issue?

This Montero is my only vehicle and I'm pretty broke right now. I know I may need to get this towed to a shop on Monday, but I would loved to be able to figure this out and make the repair on my own.

Any guidance is surely appreciated.

Treeeluva!

Last edited by treeeluva; 03-03-2013 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Accuracy
Old 03-08-2013, 09:50 AM

What do you mean by; .."I recently learned how to change it myself and gave it a shot "...?

Old 03-11-2013, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by new_kid
What do you mean by; .."I recently learned how to change it myself and gave it a shot "...?
Translation:
"I recently learned how to change [MY ALTERNATOR] ...and [TRIED]".
~ I hope that helped.

I see that I'm not alone in being puzzled with how to resolve this problem I'm having . Since first posting, I discovered that the ignition relay had blown so I replaced it. That explained the lack of electrical current after I turned the ignition, but not the failure of my truck to start. Now, it appears that my RKE code alarm is tripping which is probably the cause. The flashing red light on the left of the steering wheel has been used so often over the years, it's stuck pushed in. I was advised to try and bypass the started kill, but there are no clear and direct instructions showing how to do this on my 98 Montero's code alarm. I only see examples of this procedure with an Eclipse and I don't think the alarm models are the same.

Here are some pics of mu security system and corresponding connectors. It was a b*tch trying to get to this box, but I did it today...in the rain. I need some suggestions, please! My Montero is only a great truck...when its running.

Attached Thumbnails Oh boy! Did I screw up big time...-98-nmontero-code-alarm-rke-system.jpg  

Last edited by treeeluva; 03-11-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:21 PM
Default 98 Montero Code Alarm RKE System Wiring

I was able to remove the entire security system tonight after noticing a sticker peeking from beneath the harness. I figured that it would most likely have some relevant info on it like the model number. It actually had the pin diagram (see attached pic).

Next step is to try to figure out how to bypass the starter interrupt and PRAY that this is actually what's keeping my truck from starting.

Attached Thumbnails Oh boy! Did I screw up big time...-98-montero-code-alarm-rke-system-wiring.jpg  
Old 03-29-2013, 02:53 PM

I just got back inside from messing with the truck since I was off today and finally GOT IT UP AND RUNNING with the help of a $4 pack of single pole switches from Radio Shack.

The big problem was the valet switch being stuck in. I pulled it through the dash slightly, cut the 4 wires, tossed the old broken switch and made a temporary connection before attempting to start up the Montero. To my surprise, it worked.

Pic attached
gvmpl.us/y0y3

Never give up!